Setup DM-3200 With MX-2424

gmeleski

Hi,

I have a mx-2424 and I am trying to set it up with the dm-3200.

I have all the cables hooked up:

(1) Tascam pw-88 tdif cables
(2) standard db9 for the remote (it is just a standard cable?)
(3) word sync bnc's

With this setup it seems I should be able to have the dm-3200 auto detect.

That does not happen and when I select mx-2424 for machine control it says device not connected yet all the cables are hooked up.

I used ot have a TM-D8000 and it worked perfect.

Can anyone here share their setup with me?

Regards,

Gary

I don't have this setup, but I did glance at the mx2424 manual and found out a few things.
(1) These cables should work. Just make sure they are TDIF cables and not standard analog DSub25 cables. There is a difference.
(2) Unless you are using the actual MX2424 remote, I don't believe this cable hookup will work. This remote jack is strickly for the RC-2424 remote. Don't plug it into the back of the DM. I would unplug this and use a pair of MIDI cables to the MIDI IN/OUTs of both the DM and the MX2424. You can send both MTC and MMC through these cables, back and forth. The MMC will be your "remote" transport functions as used on the DM. MTC will sync your DM and the MX2424 for timeline access and playback for automation.
(3) As for BNC word sync, you might be better off without these cables connected. Your sample rate clock is already being transmitted via your TDIF signal. What's important is that you designate either your DM or the MX2424 as the Master and slave the other off of that. On your DM, go to ALT/PROJECT/CLOCK tab. To make the DM your sample rate clock master, (which I would think is preferred) Start on the right and select your SR frequency, then, on the left, move the curser up to INTERNAL. On the MX2424, if there is a way to select the sample rate reference, it should be set to TDIF1. Make sure the frequency matches for both devices.
To make the DM the slave, Select INTERNAL on the MX2424, and TDIF 1 on the DM. DO NOT set both devices to INTERNAL or TDIF or WORD.

So, everything you want to do should work with just the TDIF Cables (for digital audio and sample rate clock) and MIDI (for transport MMC and MIDI Time Code)

TacMan,

I got this working late last night by using the settings you described with one exception.

The MX-2424 has an option in the remote menu item to use "MX-2424 Remote" or the "Sony P2".

Selecting P2 and setting up on the DM to use mx24 I can get full control of all 24 tracks and most of the other needed parameters.

This was just a cheap standard db9 cable ($10.00 at Fry's)

Yes, I have to set the MX-2424 to get clock from TDIF1 channels 1,2.

It all syncs up really well and sounds nice.

But I guess I need to set routing 1-16 as M/L and send Direct? What do you think here. Sometimes I have problems with the routing.

I can set 17-32 as returns from the MX-2424.

Regards,

Gary

I hate to sound cliché here, but your tracking/routing choices will need to match your own philosophies.

Using the DIRECT method will work just fine. Basically, if you go this route, it would be similar to how you would have done it through an analog board. Your mic/line signal comes in, goes through your assigned input DM channel, gets effected by the channel's fader movements and effects, then goes out the TDIF cables to the MX. It's very important to watch your signal levels here, for example, trying to turn down an overloaded preamp using the fader. Bad. But, I believe the direct method can be useful for some things that might need a hair of comp or a touch of EQ before being printed. Just remember, once it's on there, (effects/fader movements) you can't take it away!

Personally, I am a big proponent of the INPUT BYPASS method. This would probably be the best way to go here to ensure your original tracks are truly the original sounds as recorded. If you go this route, your mic/line inputs are split. One set goes untouched to your TDIFs and on to your MX, while the other set goes to your channel faders and typically out your STEREO Buss and/or your AUX 1-2 via your Assign sends. This way is really useful because now you have a set of inputs being routed straight from your preamps to your TDIF cables and the other to your DM channels for mixing on the fly for latency free monitoring and headphone cues.

As for mixing, (post tracking) I've got to refer you to the SOURCE INVERT function. Since you said that you have the MX returns on 17-24 (which will work, of course), you may not realize that you are using up channels that you could be using for something else. But first, an explanation. Go To ALT/ROUTING/Input tab. Look at channels 1-16. You probably have M/L set as the input for 1-16, which would be correct (normally). But what about the space below that for each channel? Where it says RTN? Try setting that to TDIF 1 (for channels 1-8) and TDIF2 (for 9-16) and TDIF3 (for 17-24). Now, when you are done tracking to your MX, go back to this input page and move the curser down to source invert and press enter. CHs 1-8 will now be using TDIF1 (your MX return output signal) as an input source for those channels. Do it again for 9-16. If you had another TDIF cable, you could use that as well for channels 17-24. Now, you can mix your tracks using the DM utilizing the internal effects, internal automation, and routing to bring it all down to two stereo channels, which will have to be recorded somewhere else. Like a TASCAM DA 3000. AND, 17-24 could now be used for something else when tracking, like external preamps or digital gear inputs. 33-48 is great for ASSN returns-like from a patch bay-, ADAT ins, and effect returns etc., all of which can be sent out on your TDIF cables.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I haven't read the other post so forgive me if I'm repeating anyone. The DM and the MX go together like bread and butter but I had better luck using the M MMC FULL on the remote page with mach number 74 and the TRA button checked.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.