Setup for running TWO FireWire cards?

rtteter

Gear owned
DM4800
so I had a FireWire card die on me, bought ANOTHER insanely cheap 4800 console for the sole purpose of getting the FireWire card.

Then I got the broken card services and now I have two 4800's and two FireWire cards.

No, I don't imagine I'll need 64 I/O's but I'm kind of obsessed with setting it up just because I have the equipment.

I understand that the only limitation to running two at once is the driver. (I have 2 separate FireWire busses on my Mac Pro)

Is this true?

If so, I need two computers right? Assuming I had two computers (I do), can they be synced up to run ONE logic session? Anyone have any info/advice on where to start as far as setting this up?

To be clear, you can't use two separate firewire cards connected to one computer. If your experiment is to record/playback 64 tracks simultaneously then theoretically you can but is it worth it?
  • Essentially you will need 2 complete separate computers and the 2 DM's cascaded.
  • You will now have to manage project files on two separate DM's and computers.
  • You'd have to do to allow your 2nd DAW's audio to be heard through your primary DM's monitors. I'm guessing the easiest way is to buss the stereo L/R of the 2nd DM to your primary DM.
  • You will need licenses for 2 separate DAW's and any required additional software/plugins installed on both machines.
  • You'll need to find Tascam's proprietary cascade cable which was discontinued several years ago. It's next to impossible to find and complicated to make however 3rd party cable manufactures will make it for around $170.00 if you provide the pinout diagram.
64 tracks at once sounds cool but the cost for 2 of everything, having to maintain 1 project on 2 separate systems and the complicated workflow is a bit much for my taste.

If you admittedly say you don't need 64 I/O and you've fixed the broken firewire card, why not sell the 4800/firewire card for a profit?

OR

Keep the second unit as a hot spare in the event you need to make it your primary.

OR

Do what I did with my 2 DM3200's. Just cascading two DM's is a nice upgrade in itself. Essentially it doubles everything except the firewire capabilities. It makes both DM's act like one console I/O wise. Expansion cards like the Analog and ADAT can be bussed and accessed across the cascade. Also if you use the Remote Layer, your project will spread across both DM's. Will need to connect both DM's USB cables to one computer. If you attempt to do this and are a Windows user, please read my sticky on Windows 10 compatibility as there are a few things you must do to get it working in any version of Windows.

The Mac OS has the ability to aggregate separate interfaces, so I would not give up so easily. It may work. If it can aggregate separate diverse interfaces from separate manufactures, I would be surprised if it couldn't do the same with two identical devices. It doesn't seem that clocking would be an issue, but you'll have to try it.

Reactions: Peter Batah
It was already confirmed by RedBus it's not possible in either OS with the current drivers.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Roger that. Yes, I read everything possible in this forum before I post.

Sometimes I just don't quite understand the "answer" in the thread. there isn't a clear and defined solution every time a ? Comes up.

Thanks for all this info though guys. May have a FW card for sale in the next week or so...

Redco audio in CT is making me a cascade cable for $80.

FYI DM's do not have to be cascaded to use remote layer in both machines. At least in logic. Just have to plug both USB connections in

Again, if you are windows based (I suggest you add your specs to your auto signature) you need to refer to the cascade portion of the windows 10 capatibility sticky. You need to make registry entries to one of the DM3200 USB devices in Windows to get remote layer to work with 2 consoles . I assume you're MAC since you mentioned Logic. I believe you may have to do something similar with the Mac as well. There was another Mac user who documented the process here in the forum. You will have to search for it.

I'm a Mac person. No registry was needed. Both DM's USB into Mac, set up 3 more Mackie extenders in Logic, works like a charm. They aren't cascaded (yet)

Yep in Queens. Nice studio and best of luck with the new opening.

I'm a Mac person. No registry was needed. Both DM's USB into Mac, set up 3 more Mackie extenders in Logic, works like a charm. They aren't cascaded (yet)
Great looking setup. Wish you all the best!

Note that when you cascade 2 DM's you must update both consoles to Firmware V1.72b3.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.