Sharing Files and collaborating

Ropaul

From
Leicester, UK
Gear owned
TASCAM DP 32SD
Hello, I have recently purchased a Tascam Dp32SD and love it but like many of you have had difficulty translating the user manual into real life and find this forum an excellent source of information and guidance, Thankyou! My query is related to sending songs to my uncle who also has a DP32SD and we collaborate on music but don’t get to meet up very often due to living a long way apart. We both have access to Windows PC. I have set out some scenarios and questions below and would be grateful if anyone could provide some help:

Scenario 1: I have recorded Acoustic Guitar and a Vocal but have not made a mixed or mastered file. I want to send the unfinished song to my uncle to add Bass and keyboards for example. What is the best way to export the music from the Tascam and then get the music to him so that he can load the song into his own DP32 and add his parts? Please note in this scenario no DAW is involved. Can I email files and if so in what format and through what medium or should I just send him the songs on a spare SD card?

Scenario 2: I have a second song which I have mixed in the mixdown/Mastering mode but I have not yet mastered the song. I want my uncle to master the song on his DAW, what would be the best way to send the file to him.

Scenario 3: I have a third song on which all the recording has been done and so has the mixing and mastering all within the DP32. I want to send the finished version to him so that he can load into his machine, play the song from his computer and/or make a CD copy and release on his soundcloud or similar account. Is the process the same as above. Please note no DAW is involved in this scenario.

I appreciate this is a long post and the scenarios are similar so apologies if the answer is the same to all of them,
Many thanks for looking at the post
Ropaul

Hi Ropaul. The answer to all is "cloud storage" like Dropbox or Google Drive.

In all 3 of the above, use the USB connection and copy:

1. The song folder to the cloud storage service.
2. The songname.WAV file to the cloud.
3. The songname.WAV file (it's the same name if mastered or not) to the cloud.

Send your uncle the link to the cloud folder.

Easy!

Or, if you only want to send your files without having to use Dropbox or Google, try something like WeTransfer. You upload your files (up to 2GB) and create a download link (or directly input the email of the recipient) on this service, and the files are available to download for a week.

Reactions: -mjk-
Excellent thanks both, we are now freely collaborating sending files via We Transfer and will definitely be using a cloud service in the near future

New threads

Members online

No members online now.