Sonar Platinum and MU1000 Meters

Dave Smith

Gear owned
DM-4800
Gm all,

So I've come a long way and my board is working really well integrated with Sonar Platinum. My only issue is one I've seen posted many times here in the forums in regards to getting the LED's to respond to each remote channel. Everyone is pointing to Jasmires cubase video on how to re-route channels however I've watched his videos and have seen no mention on how he did it.

I "AM" able to get it to work however the way I'm doing it is forcing me to PAN each channel in Sonar L+R and set that channels output to SLOT 1-2; 3-4; 5-6; etc...respectively. When I go to the remote layer on the Tascam I want to be able to use the PANS to mix but they are all hard left and right and of course if I mixdown the final file will have hard pans. If I'm just using the boards Layer Ch-124 I can mix to my hearts content without any problems however I want to be in the remote layer moving my pans wherever I want them but it doesn't seem like there's an option for that.

It's like there's no way to route the meters to the tascam independently. What gives?

Basically I have it working but not the way I need it to...

You can't use the meter bridge in the Remote Layer - there's no audio signal coming through that layer. Audio only comes through the first three layers (I'm speaking from the DM4800 side). I route all my audio from Cubase through the firewire card into channels 1-32 in the board - the first two layers. I use the board's automation, not Cubase's automation. That's the only way you'll see the meter bride's LED's light up.

There ya go.

Reactions: captdan
Hey Jamsire and thank you for responding! That's exactly what I feared but it's kind of expected given the boards full functionality as a powerful stand alone console. Question? Given I too had that setup working just fine (Routing individual Sonar Channels via Firewire) with full pan & fader control through layer 1-24, how are you mixing down your songs? In realtime or another method given the pans in the DAW are hard left and hard right to separate the even + odd channels L & R? My guess is there's no way to utilize the export mixdown feature in this setup.

Thanks!

Oy....................This is why the video exists. ALL of my controls are MIDI mapped - faders, pans, etc., to the DM. I don't mix in the box - I find it stupid to do when you have all of these awesome channels for the audio to pass through. I mix everything down to an Alesis Masterlink. I've been doing this for more than 15 years and it works for me. I have a good amount of outboard gear and in conjunction with my analog cards - I'm set.

That's awesome!! I got it now. Sometimes it just takes a little while to set in. Especially when I've been mixing inside the box for way too long.. I started on 16 Track analog back in the 80's and by the early 90's was in digital workspace 100%. It feels good to be back but it's definitely like learning how to ride a bike again. Well thankfully I'm not too off track as I was able to get working what can and will work. Thanks again for taking the time and I'll have to watch your video's again to pick up some tools now that I understand the work flow!!

CHEERS!!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.