"Song Protected"

Malko

From
US
Website
www.youtube.com
Gear owned
DP 24SD
New with the DP 24SD, I have tried every way to import a WAV file both from pc and manually placing the file on the SD in Audio Depot. Many different file style names, 16 to 32 bit. Converted MP3 both with Audacity and other online programs. Both converted or original WAV file. All to the same end. "Song Protected". How does one Unprotect a song in Audio Depot in order to import it into the recorder? Again I see all the files I have tried just cant' import them. HELP!

Hello Malko - welcome to the show. We have lovely prizes awaiting you, just for playing!
Sorry. I watched a lot of TV as a kid.:rolleyes:

ANYway. Your problem is presented in a confusing manner: it's difficult to determine whether you're using AudioDepot to attempt to import TRACKS, or entire songs.
  • IIRC, Audio Depot will allow you to import TRACKS, but not entire songs. I'm not aware that TRACKS can be marked "protected"...
  • Copying a song directly to the DP's SD card Music folder will probably not modify the "protected" status; and (though I've never tested this theory) it's unclear whether a protected song placed on the DP's SD card can be "unprotected" via the menu...but it's worth a try.
  • Also note that importing tracks via A/Depot MUST-MUST-MUST be in the same bit-depth & sampling rate as the DP project you're importing them to, or you get error message.
  • You must also be aware that the .WAV files in a Song folder on the SD card are not the actual tracks - but bits of recorded info the DP uses to comprise a track. You need to use import/export function of a DP to get full tracks.
READ THE STICKIES, and use the forum's search function.
98.5% of most questions/problems can be resolved that way (since we've all been using this gear for years and have had every problem ever).

Good luck -

...Audio Depot ... "Song Protected". How does one Unprotect a song ...

"Song Protected" is a standard error message. The explanation and solution are found in the owner manual under the section headings "Messages" and "Song Management".

Last edited:
shredd
Thanks for getting back. So the issue is trying to load a WAV file. I have used Wav files converted form MP3's using audacity (on my desktop) and other online programs to convert. As well I have used other wav files that are custom track made by me. Trying all bits from 16 to 32 as well as different file name forms. All have come up with "Song Protected". All where put into the Audio Depot either by placing them on the SD or connecting my laptop direct to the DP 24SD. All with the same end. Not being able to import any WAV file. Using a brand new dell windows 11, core i7, 16 GB ram and 1 TB drive with 640 GB free. I have worked many years with the Roland 2480 and never encountered this issue. Always something new to learn. Thanks for the tips on the correct bit rage to match an existing song one may want to add other tracks to. Again the track(s) I was trying to import where to record against as a backing track adding other vocals and or instruments to for a final song. Thanks for your time and consideration... M

@Malko - I'm surely not the expert around here - quite the opposite.
But: while matching the bit-rate/sampling Hz is critical to importing tracks to a project...it really does sound like your problem lies in the project itself being set as "protected", rather than any characteristic of the track/s.
And, as previously mentioned, it's my understanding that AudioDepot can be used for importing exporting TRACKS - only - not projects. And that placing a project on an SD card - whether via the DP's USB connection, or by putting the SD card in a puter - will NOT alter its "protected" status.

So tried another work around. I did a full format of the card that came with the recorder. After I put the original track (s) back on the card this time adding a few other ones to test. 5 in total. I converted all 5 to WAV. Out of those 2 new ones loaded they are at 16 bit and 1 one the first ones I converted that would not load before. The other 2 of the original ones converted now say "Can Not Import". Checking the manual that says the bit rate or sample rate is off. is not correct. I am now going back to check all bit/sample rates and will match to the ones that will now load. Really not sure what changed. As I said at least one would not load before giving the "Song Protected". It's a head scratcher...... let you know what happens.

shredd
So the sample rate was off on 2 of them. Not sure how the rate got changed as I normally only work in 44.1. Still not sure why before it kept doing the Song Protected thing. I did originally covert to 16 bit, 44.1 WAV and still said "Song Protected". Only thing different was the re-formatting of the original SD card that came with it. Oh well. On to the next hurdle. Again thanks for the assist. Have a great day!

As Mark & shredd said, this is probably all in the stickies... but fwiw, here are some thoughts on various culprits for 'protected' songs, assuming it's not the usual 'running out-of-date firmware'.

The card itself can be protected by sliding the small switch on the card body. This can be done inadvertently when plugging the card in by catching the side of the card against the holder. This is unlikely to be your problem as it would stop any writes to the card, including writing to the AudioDepot from your computer... although if you removed the card to do this, you may have caught the slide switch when moving it back.

Another culprit is the machine's own 'protect' setting, which is indicated in the song list by a padlock next to the song name. The song menu setting toggles this on and off. This will prevent any updates to that song, but it won't affect AudioDepot as the latter is a global folder accessible by all songs.

The last one I can think of is the standard 'read only' attribute which can be set/reset using a computer. If your computer has set this attribute on any of the files within the song folder, or even the song folder itself, the machine will be unable to write to them and may give that 'protected' message. Maybe you tried making an archived song read-only for safety and forgot to change it back?
To check the latter, put the card into your computer, or use the USB link, and check the properties of the song folder and files within it. There are several ways of checking depending on your computer, e.g. one way might be to right-click the item and select 'properties' or file attributes.

Hope you find the cause... let us know if you do.
P.S. welcome to the forum :)

Mark, One of the first things I check was the lock. Still not sure why re-formatting the card did the trick but it did. Maybe the demo song was locked in and causing the issue. Who knows. After checking that the bit & sample rates were all the same everything went smooth. A BIG THANKS MUCH to you guys for all the quick direction!! Gotta say the manual is at best missing much info...... but the upside this forum is balls out ! Forgive the french. buen dia mis amigos.....

Welcome to the forum, Phil has produced a fantastic manual for the DP series,well worth the 30 Euros. It covers everything the official manual doesn't, which is everything lol

Reactions: dctdct

New threads

Members online