Stereo Mix Export - Main File Error

DirtyMike321

Gear owned
Tascam Model 24
Hello everyone,

Whenever I try to use the stereo mix export feature on my Model 24, I am greeted with the error “main file error” and am unable to mix my songs down in stereo.

The manual does not mention how to get around this error, so any help would be appreciated.

I would also like to thank everyone who has posted on this forum, there is little information out there about actually using the Model 24 but there are many wonderful people in this forum who share information about its features.

Reactions: -mjk-
Are you trying to do a mix, or export a Mixdown file?

I am trying to do a mix on the Model 24. I believe it is the feature that was added is in the Firmware Version 1.30 update.

I didn't find that error you mentioned in the user manual. You can mix 22 tracks to track 23/24 for mixdown all in the SD card. Mixing has been available since it's release. Are you mixing tracks from the SD card?

The manual hints at how to fix it. It says "Conversion is not possible if no MAIN file has been recorded. The message shown below will appear.... Main File Error".
So it looks like you're trying to export a MAIN file but it doesn't exist yet because you've not recorded it. How you actually record a MAIN mix should be in the manual somewhere. This might be enough to get you going... I don't have this machine so you may have to wait for mj or someone else to explain further. Hang in there... it will all make sense in the end :)

@DirtyMike321 The Model 24 doesn't render a mix like a DAW. You have to record a mixdown in real time, and make any mixing moves you need to make, manually, in real time. Depending on your source, whether a DAW from the USB, or the SD card, set the Mode switch appropriately. However, please note that according to the manual on page 40:

You cannot use this unit’s recording, playback and other recorder functions when it is connected to a computer by USB

So I suppose you'd have to use the DAW to record the mixdown.

Mixing down from SD source to SD destination is strange in this unit. I had to look at it several times before I found this on page 30:

"Recording

This unit can simultaneously record up to 24 tracks, including 22 channel inputs and the MAIN MIX L/R bus....

NOTE The MAIN MIX L/R bus does not have a REC button, but it is always in recording standby. The signals of the MAIN MIX L/R bus will always be recorded if the [record] button is pressed. When the REC buttons of tracks that already have recordings is blinking, press them to make them unlit."

So, if you are trying to do a Mixdown from SD card tracks, put the Mode switch in that mode and the tracks will appear on the faders. Take all those tracks out of record mode (dis-arm them for recording). When you press record with none of the tracks in record-ready mode, the Main L/R bus will record.

I hope this hasn't made you even more confused. I had to admit, the Model 24 is probably the strangest mixer I've ever seen.

You absolutely can record from your DAW to the Model 24's MTR. Just a clarification on the statement in the manual on page 40:

You cannot use this unit’s recording, playback and other recorder functions when it is connected to a computer by USB

This is only for when it's in USB storage mode. So you can't copy and paste the tracks from the Model 24 onto your computer while also recording. You can set the source as PC for your tracks and then send DAW files to the Model 24 and they will record with the MTR.

To MJ's point about how horrible the manual is, it really is. That comment should really say: You cannot use this unit’s recording, playback and other recorder functions when it is connected to a computer by USB with Storage Mode engaged.

@Matthew Fogel thank you very much for that clarification! Now that you've explained it, I see what they mean. I like your wording better than the manual.

The manual is so bad that we have to rely on people who own one to confirm/deny It's functionality.

Reactions: Tomàs Spencer
Hocan somebody please explain the funcions of the sub groups "Main" button as well as the S"D Main Mix Returd" button on the main output section? ive recorded a mix of some mtr channels and it sounded good out of the main outs to my speakers but when i exported the stereo mix and played it back (from channels 21/22) it sounded more blown out and not identical to the mix i did when recording. i think this is to do with my improper use of the submix. thanks !

New threads

Members online

No members online now.