Studio monitor issue

Bravohorn1

Gear owned
DP 24SD
Back again with monitor issue. While working in Effects, Mixer and Dynamics yesterday post session, only one (of two) monitors started making very loud popping noises. They're only plugged into DP24sd. No PC, or interface connection. Unplugging from 24 didn't stop it. Only cutting power to monitor did. This morning the sound though still their, isn't as bad. Yesterday it sounded like a machine gun. Did I kill it with my horsing around with the effects?

Problems can't be diagnosed without data. The more info you can provide, the better.;)

For the speakers:

• What brand/model of speakers?
  • What type of cables connect your DP to the speakers?
  • What DP outputs are you using to connect to the speakers?
  • Assuming you have active, powered speakers, how high is the volume set?
  • Which speaker is popping - the active one with the amp or the passive one?
  • What cable are you using to connect the active speaker to the passive speaker?
  • Are all your cables seated properly?
For your DP-24SD:
  • What was connected to your Inputs (A~H) when the problem started?
  • What level were your DP faders set to when the problem started?
  • What levels were your DP Trim Knobs set to when the problem started?
  • What levels were your DP Sends set to when the problem started?
  • What level was the DP Monitor knob set at when the problem started ?
  • Is the popping there with the DP connected and turned on?
  • Is the popping there with the DP connected and turned off?
  • Is the popping there with the DP disconnected?
  • What specifically were you doing to make you think using the DP effects created/caused the issue?
    • How where you "working in" the Dynamic effects?
    • How where you "working in" the Internal effects?
    • How where you "working in" Mixing?

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
I would say, because "Unplugging from 24 didn't stop it.", you can forget about the DP24. What's left (or at least first things to look at) are the cables to your monitors or the monitors themselves. If the one that pops keeps doing so with only power connected, it could be an internal electronic issue - or interference from an outside source.

@Arjan P I couldn't agree more. Sounds like a blown driver or an issue with the power amp.

Hey all,
A lot of possibilities I guess. The monitor makes the noise even when disconnected to DP24. The noise of course stops when I turn it off, or simply pull out the power cord from the wall, or the monitor itself. I wasn't doing anything different than I usually do. The only thing changed was adding a new behringer headphone preamp for additional headphones, but that was added several days ago. The monitors are base model Sterling's MX 5's, the levels were at half. I did adjust low and high frequency's a couple days ago, but followed MFR's manual. I think MJK is right about the driver. Any suggestions on replacing monitors? Good new ones, but not crazy expensive,, or maybe pre-owned? Thanks

@Bravohorn1 a blown driver would only make such a noise when driven. If you're not playing audio and it's popping, then it's something in the amp like @witzendoz said, or, some serious noise on your power line.

To make sure it's not some kind of interference/noise, I would get the affected monitor and take it to another room (or power socket) and switch it on. Turn/operate all knobs and stuff, and if popping continues it's likely to be an amp issue and it needs repair or replacement.

Okay. I took it to several different rooms. Even a room with no electronics plugged in, and noise still present. I was hopeful, after see your suggestion. Thanks

@Bravohorn1 if they are powered monitors, with a wall wart, you could substitute another one with equivalent current/voltage/polarity and see if that eliminates the issue.

Are they making noise with no audio input? Or only when playing back?

@Bravohorn1 we hope you got your issue resolved. But could you please let us know? It really helps the knowledge base when the OP replies with what worked in the end. There are dozens of open-ended threads in the forum. People searching for answers see the questions and responses, but very few threads have the critical "that worked" type responses that provide definitive solutions. Thanks.

Thanks Mike. IveI been been motorhoming since kast Sunday, and neglected to do an update. The studio monitor mystery remains unsolved. I did everything everyone suggested, and it (the monitor) was still making the noise. I'm taking it to guitar center for a look see. I bought the pair in November, but they were pre-owned, so if it's reasonably priced to repair, I'll fix it. In addition to my home studio, which is basically hardware oriented, I'm now setting up my motorhome as a kind of mobile studio, but in a DAW environment, so I will need monitors in it. I hope I can have the inoperable one fixed for that, and buy new ones for the house. The tricky part is cables. Anyway, I will post the details of the original monitor failure, it's cause, and it's subsequent resolution. Thanks, and have a great weekend...

Thanks for the update @Bravohorn1. I like the idea of a motorhome studio, like The Who's "Going Mobile." I hope you get it sorted out quickly and back to business soon. Looking forward to the update.

Members online

No members online now.