Sync track DP32SD

Actually, I have a Yamaha RX8 drum machine which has 3 midi ports: midi in, midi out and cassette tape in. I wonder if I can connect the effect out of the R24 SD to the cassette tape midi port. In that case I would need a jack to midi cable I guess. It’s the drum machine I want to synchronize with the Tascam.

Last edited:
Thanks. So this cable I should connect to the effect out of the Tascam, as you describe above?

The dp series edit features are accurate to 3.3mS which is more than good enough in many if not most cases for resyncing audio tracks. Tedious, but it works.

Thanks Sam. Highly appreciated. I hope that one day you have some time to describe exactly how to make the connections and do the settings. I will give it a trial and error effort for now. First I got to get the cables for it.

I did this with the DP32-SD and it worked *perfectly*. It was a snap. And solved a real problem - as I was stuck with old Roland VS840 files stuck on a zip disc with no easy way to convert to wav.
Hi Dave. Im at a loss how to implement this solution with my new DP-24SD and Beat Buddy. Detailed info on what device I need to generate the sync tone and a step by step description of this whole process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(I used a Philip Rees TS1 Tape Sync unit back in the cassette days).

Hi Phil,

Wonder if I can pick your brains...

I recently managed to find a TS1 online and purchased it. Good results so far, however, today I've striped a track on the DP-24SD @130BPM. When playing back it's slaving the drum machine a noticeable few BPMs slower. Any ideas?

P.S. when initially recording the stripe I set the TS1 to "SPP/SRT Fast Chase"

Cheers

Simon - the only problem I remember was getting the audio levels right (this applies to all the units I've used) - if they are too low or too high, pulses will be lost so this might explain your slow-down. Also pay attention to the connecting cables & plugs - seem to remember someone on this forum having sync problems, and they all went away when he replaced the cables. How are you measuring the playback bpm? Does it sound audibly slower? I don't think the fast/slow chase option is the culprit as this governs how quickly the sync box locks in to the pulses (as far as I remember). There's lots of useful info about sync and timecodes on the Philip Rees tech pages.

Reactions: SimonPD and -mjk-
Thanks Phil,

Solved it. It was a case of RTM... :)

When recording a SPP/SRT stripe, the TS1 actually needs to be in "Standby" mode, not "Record Stripe" as I'd first had it set up today (I think Record Stripe is something to do with SMPTE). Anyhow, all working now.

Cheers again for your input!

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Just new here and very interested in syncing Cubase from the DP32-SD (or at least start by a trigger). Looking across the internet I run into this device:

https://bastl-instruments.com/instruments/klik

and I thought it might solve the sync problem? Maybe someone has experience with this device or any suggestions how this might be used / connected?

@Jack Snijders well, first of all, the link you posted actually says

"CUBASE, LOGIC, PROTOOLS ETC.
Not tested yet – similar method to Ableton should work (download the Ableton project to get the sync samples)"

So it looks like you are on your own with that device.

Yes, you are right, I did read that also, however they also do mention an Ableton solution. I did download that example but was not able to figure that out so I was hoping to get some replies from more experienced owners/users here. Sometimes a small remark or tip from someone else just point you to the right direction.
In the meantime I did create a sync track in Cubase which i record to track 31/32 on the tascam and I can route them to the 'klik' and there is output...
At this moment it is more on the Cubase side to figure out how I get the program to start on this trigger. Will keep in touch, in the meantime I am still interested in any other, not too expensive solutions.

Just in case others are following this thread, here's a practical example video on how to use one of the many sync boxes with a dp32sd machine. These boxes allow the dp24sd and dp32sd to sync any number of external MIDI devices. Most sync boxes are only available 2nd-hand, but the video description shows what to look for and lists a few different types plus some modern-day alternatives.
The bottom line is the lack of MIDI on the newer 'sd' machines is not a show-stopper unless you want to sync multiple dp24sd/dp32sd machines together (the 'sd' machines can only be masters, not slaves).

I had an idea of sending a signal from Cubase via my soundcard's midi output. It's a Steinberg UR44. So I bought these two devices - a DIN-adapter 5-pole male to 3.5 mm and a DIN-adapter 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm. I wanted to connect this as an output from Cubase to my Tascam DP-32SD where you normally plug in the pedal RC-1F or RC-3F.

It didn't work. But wouldn't it be easy for Tascam to sell a driver that could do the same from a computer? I would willingly pay for that. Or if someone could build a device. Because I defenitely see the possibilities of syncing my DAW with Tascam. At the moment I kind of gave up on the idea and will focus on Cubase.

The reason why it's so important with sync, is that I want to make modern synth music like EDM, combined with guitar and choir singing. I want be able to do MIDI edit on the synth melodies and chords. So the idea is to do a lot of subtle adjustments on voices with Tascam. This is the best of two worlds if it could be combined.
337669_39843.tif

221524_39116.tif

Last edited:
Jan, I'd be very cautious plugging non-pedal devices into the pedal socket; you could damage things at either end. The pedal would only give you sync'd start & stop anyway; it wouldn't sync timing throughout the song so it would drift. The easiest solution (in my view) is to use the technique from the previous post #38. Sync boxes seem to pop up regularly on the 2nd hand market, so just snap one up and enjoy perfect sync from your DP-32SD with any MIDI device. Welcome to the forum, by the way :)

Thank you Phil for the answer. I just don't see why I should use an old technique with modern hardware and programs. And it's not easy to exactly understand how to do it, even if I watched your video about the Midi Sync - old-school. I believe my solution will be to use Cubase for synths and drums and then do a straight recording from my DAW to Tascam. My external Soundcard has 6 outputs so I can record 6 channels to Tascam. Then I will use the remaining channels to record voices and guitars on Tascam.

But thank you for telling me about the drifting.

Reactions: Phil Tipping

New threads

Members online