Syncing a software sequencer to DP32 SD

wavesequence

From
Mestre - Venice, Italy
Gear owned
None at present
I'm sorry if this subject has already been discussed. I'm thinking to buy a DP32 SD but the lack of MIDI ports is quite embarassing.
Owning a decent number of MIDI instruments (synthesizers) and, unfortunately, a not very powerful computer - good only for MIDI sequencing, I'm wondering if there's an exit strategy to synchronize already recorded tracks on the DP32 SD and the upcoming new ones.
Thanks in advance.

Hi wavesequence, well that was good timing as there has been some discussion on this forum re. various ways of overcoming the deficiency in the later dp models. Simple options are to edit the tracks manually and slide them into alignment - Track Edit functions can do this. Some devices can be triggered by simple audio blips instead of MIDI, so recording a regular drum hit can work with these, e.g. http://www.tascamforums.com/threads...more-than-8-tracks-without-the-midi-port.4112 Finally an external MIDI-Sync box will do the trick - a video for this has just been added to the tutorial series, see post #84 in this thread http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dp-24-32sd-tutorial-videos.4475

Last edited:
Hello Phil,
Thanks for your reply. Today retrieving a Yamaha YMC-10 is not an easy task. As a former MotU Performer user (using now Digital Performer) I realized that using a DP32 SD might increase syncing issues. I thought on one hand that a Midisport 8x8s might do the trick, with its SMPTE capabilities, on the other hand the number of devices that have to be synchronized is huge...
21753152_10212367830663498_8319015314187189734_o.jpg

photo.php

(there are some other synthesizers not present in this image)
Anyway, nothing is already decided... DP32 SD might act as a primary noteblock, before moving to DAW.

As a Midisport 8x8 owner I'd be impressed with anyone having needs beyond its limits. 8x16 MIDI channels, that's 128 synths (or synth channels) you can sync to SMPTE!

Nice looking setup - home-made racks? You could always resort to a patch bay, assuming you're not wanting to sync everything at the same time. I mainly use basic timing clocks as not all the gear understands MTC, but either way, all MIDI Ins & Outs go to standard 1/4" balanced jack patch bays with home-made MIDI cables. That way, the same panels and patch cables can be used for both MIDI & audio - http://www.philizound.co.uk/freebies/midi-wiring/midi-patch-panels.html A few external MIDI merge & splitter boxes makes most combinations possible... but this is really old tech :)

As a Midisport 8x8 owner I'd be impressed with anyone having needs beyond its limits. 8x16 MIDI channels, that's 128 synths (or synth channels) you can sync to SMPTE!
Arjan,
Unfortunately my MIDI rig is quite complex. My main goal is having everything connected and ready to be recorded both audio and MIDI, thus 4 MotU FW audio and 3 MIDI interfaces plus a Midisport 8x8s are involved. Managing all these pieces of gear is not a piece of cake. That's why I'm wondering whether moving to a hardware digital recorder makes sense or is just another useless step like running on empty. All in all, I'll continue using Digital Performer as a simple audio/MIDI recording platform, forgetting about audio plug ins and virtual instruments.

It is a nice setup! About your using a hardware recorder or not: only you can decide what you need. If your music can be done with everything MIDI the answer is no. But if you want to add vocals, acoustic instruments or real percussion a form of audio recording is needed (as I understand it your PC is not sufficient for this). In your shoes, I don't think I'd go for a hardware recorder without built-in MIDI.

Reactions: wavesequence
BTW, I have the same issue that the last message in a topic does not have the 'Quote' possibility. Has been like that for a long time. I use Firefox on Windows 10.

Well, if I had less gear, such as 3 synthesizers and a rhythm machine I might also embark in a "new adventure" with a un-MIDIed hardware recorder. I've always thought that simplification always means more fresh ideas and production speed. On the other hand, my rig has been built since the mid eighties, and I'm used to keep instruments instead of trading/selling them. Thus I'm facing a strange situation: the management of several instruments is complicated by an ambitious goal: having all instruments ready to be recorded and driven by a masterkeyboard (when they are expanders).
At present, I see the only feasible way is a DAW.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.