Tascam 16x08 vs. Focusrite anything

stm113

Gear owned
US-1800
Hey guys looking for some opinions on the Tascam 16x08. I have the US-1800 and even with the driver update from last year the latency makes the unit just unusable for any level of serious recording. I just bought a scarlett 2i2 but haven't used it yet. The 2 ins on the scarlett will work ok for now but when it comes time to record a full drum kit I will need at the very least 8 but preferably 10-12 tracks. I like the price of the 16x08 but...it's useless if it has the same latency issues as the US-1800. So I guess my question is does anyone here have any experience with the latency of the Focusrite Scarlett units vs. the Tascam 16x08? Also is the latency on the 16x08 better than the US-1800? Thanks guys for your help.

Another thing I had tossed around in my mind was keeping the 1800 to record drums since they are the foundation of the recording, though they'd likely to be recording to scratch tracks. The thing is I don't know enough to understand how latency works. Where does it come into play? How fast the track is recorded or how quickly I am hearing it back?

I can't give you a comparison for US-16x08 RTL with anything else, but mine measures a tad under 9ms @ 44.1K with a 64 sample buffer. A little better @48K

This is with a Win8.1x64 system.

I'm quite happy with it.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.