Tascam 2488 MII amp simulator vs DP-24/32 amp simulator

RickyLee

From
Riverside CA USA
Gear owned
DP-03SD, 2488 MKII, TSR-8
I have only played around with my new to me 2488 MII for one evening so far. I plugged my guitar straight into INPUT H and used the guitar tuner and quickly set up a built in guitar FX patch. The distortion/overdrive sound on the Tascam guitar FX did not sound much better than if I was running a dirt pedal stomp box line in. So, I do need to play with it a bit more. I am considering just buying a decent outboard amp simulator later for basic line in recording of my guitar for demo work and goofing about.

So I am wondering if the newer Tascam DP series recorders have better built in FX or guitar FX and amp simulators? Ir is it basically the same as the older 2488 series like I have?

The DP-24/32 gtr amp sims are more or less close to unusable unless your just wanting to sketch an idea.

A really GREAT bang for the buck is the Digitech RP360XP. Tons of amps, cabinets, pedals, etc. Both me and forum member Mark Richard's have the RP360. For the price... it's a no brainer in my view.

Reactions: -mjk- and RickyLee
I have been looking at a few different amp modeler pedals. They are all pricey. I am now figuring I should get one with a headphone out as well so I can do silent guitar playing due to changes here at my house to making noise lol.

Reactions: -mjk-
I used one of the amps to add distortion to a B3 sound. Worked well.

I am wondering how come I can quote my own posts, but I can not see options in others posts to quote them?

:D

@-mjk- : You ran a B3 sim into your Tascam guitar sim to give it some Dirt?

Hi Ricky. It's kind of a weird quirk, but you can't usually quote the post at the end of the thread. And that's usually the one you want to quote!

I recorded the B3/Leslie sound on a stereo track and got it sounding the way I wanted to etc.. But it's a rock tune, and the built in distortion on the patch, which is controllable, just didn't sound right. So I recorded it clean, and then I used the Guitar insert affect, selected a cabinet that gave it the right tone and then I just tweaked the distortion and bounced it.

The DP-24/32 gtr amp sims are more or less close to unusable unless your just wanting to sketch an idea.

A really GREAT bang for the buck is the Digitech RP360XP. Tons of amps, cabinets, pedals, etc. Both me and forum member Mark Richard's have the RP360. For the price... it's a no brainer in my view.

Believe it or not David, I get some great recording guitar sounds out of my Roland drum machine. If you heard that sample audio file from a couple weeks back, all the guitars on that track were done with the Roland.

Boss DR-880 DrRhythm. It hasn't changed in years. They are still making the same machine they did over a decade ago. The backlight on the display hasn't worked for years.

Ah yes. That little machine is a classic.

A little off topic from the effects thing - but you mentioned Roland drum machine so I was curious.

I have the Roland R-70. Bought it back in the 90's. I regret that I simply don't have much use for it anymore (although I did replace the memory battery in it just recently). I use EZ Drummer2 these days. But I miss playing with and programming the R-70. It is just a fantastic and well thought out sequencer. Comfortable soft pads for tapping in patterns... and pretty much all of the functionality that you could hope for in a sleek, durable, compact desk top unit. I don't do it very often - but once in a while I will pull it out simply because it's fun.

Anyway.... I'm just talkin here...:D

David, I'm borrowing a friend's MIDI kit so I can play the pads with sticks. But much of my stuff was programmed on the machine. I've never used EZ before. Do you recommend it?

I highly recommend the Toontrack products in general. That company has got it going on.

EZ Drummer 2 is excellent. You get the basic - which can be used as a plugin for a DAW - or it can be used as a stand alone sequencer where you can export both MIDI and/or .wav versions of your patterns. And then you can add expansion packs. Perfect for me. I'm one of those that loves to slice and dice and edit their existing patterns and drum parts to my liking.

Be sure to do your homework - because it may be Toontrack's Superior Drummer that is more suited for your needs. As the name implies... it's EZ Drummer's big brother. Just depends on how much editing capability you're needing.

Very good explanation David, thanks. I'm already adept at programming on the DR, so maybe just using that to do a basic MIDI thumbnail that I could edit further on the machine might be the way to go. I'll check it out.

Reactions: David Porter
David, with how things are today, I thought I would miss the individual outs on the Roland drum machine. But in reality, I don't. It all comes down to a two track mix anyway right? And the machine has FX, EQ, compression individual drum tuning, individual instrument select for kit editing and, when you add it all up, the two track stereo output sounds pretty much as good as I can get with individual tracks and compression and EQ and FX anyway. It does have optical, but it's only a copy of the stereo output.

Reactions: David Porter

New threads

Members online

No members online now.