Tascam 24sd vs Zoom R24 vs Audio Interface/preamp

Macguy

Gear owned
None yet
So, I have a question regarding Tascam DP-24sd vs Zoom R24 vs Audio Interface into a DAW.

I like editing and mixing in my daw. However, I like the idea of recording straight into a stand alone device. I am looking for a good high quality sound preamp to get a really good recording if I am remote or at home and then transfer the recordings to my daw. I don't need the extra features of the zoom r24 as drum tracks, etc will be imported tracks from my Mac. I am also not worried about midi too much. More rock recordings than anything and just want to be able to get a great sound (possibly some light mixing) before transferring it to my Mac. I'm a software engineer so I get a little tired after staring at a sceeen all day to have to be at my desk again for music recording. So, i am looking for something I can be remote.

Anyway, Here are my questions:

1. Are there any sound comparisons between the Tascam dp 24sd and the zoom r24? I have heard some things about disappointing or not as "high quality" preamps? Is this true? Anyone have both?

2. Would it make sense to get a Behringer small mixer or some sort of high quality preamp to route through to the input to the Tascam or zoom?

3. I do own an iPad Pro and have Cubasis. I am finding that discovering a good interface for it that can record 4-8 inputs at once seems to bring its own challenges. But, if anyone has any good sounding audio interfaces that outshine Tascam or Zoom then I would definitely listen to that feedback as well.

I am a little old school and partial to the stand alone device since I just want to get back to making music that sounds good (sonically) and something that could be pushed to iTunes, etc eventually.

So, I guess my main concern with all of the above would be the sound quality of the preamps for the above devices. Any feedback/recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I have no comparison for you, cause I haven't owned or used either of the two recorders. But generally speaking I would say that a Behringer small mixer preamp will be no improvement over any Tascam preamp.

For DAW interfaces there are some fantastic brands (RME, Steinberg, Yamaha), but I wouldn't know for ipad - but then, I also wouldn't consider Cubasis a serious DAW. Which doesn't mean to say that it can't be a very useful app for your requirements.

Reactions: -mjk- and Macguy
Just curious - would an expensive preamp (RME, Apollo, Steinberg, etc) be a noticeable improvement over the Tascam preamps? Or would it even be that much of a difference?
(Vs mics, room treatment, etc). Thanks!

IMO, in a home studio environment, you're much more likely to notice a difference with mic selection (or spending more on them) and room treatment than RME preamps over Tascam or equivalent preamps. Not to mention mic placement! All a decent preamp needs to have is no coloration to the sound and a reasonable noise floor - that's my opinion anyway.

What Arjan said. If you take the time to scroll down the first page of this 2488/24/32 forum, you'll find a thread started on May 3rd by Robert Monahan that discusses the need for external mic pre-amps.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-
Also, unless you did a board level chip upgrade to the A/D converters, you wouldn't benefit from a really high end interface anyway.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.