Tascam 3200 to Wallbox

Mikki

Gear owned
tascam 3200
Hello guys, I need help :)

Can someone explain me simply how to connect my tascam 3200 with wallbox of my recording booth.

So first, what "type" of wallbox I need?

I will never record drums, maybe sometimes only kick drum, mostly I will rec vocals, guitars, keyboards... so max 4 microphones at same time? I will have headphone amp in booth and thats it.
I have fender rhodes (in control room), el. guitar, ac.guitar...
So, maybe in some sessions I will rec keyboard and bass or guitar at the same time

Can someone give me advice and tell me how many ins and outs , aux and returns Ill need on my wallbox and which way is the best to connect after with my tascam 3200? with TDIF to XLR or?

Tnx, sorry for bad english

Hello,

I assume you want to pass cabling from your console thru a wall to a fixed plate mounded on the wall in another room. If that is the case,
there are vendors that specialize in custom solder on / pass thru plates, I use Ace Backstage in California often and they are great.
They can make any plate you want but there are a lot of vendors who can. ;-)

Only you can be the judge of how many inputs and outputs you will need and the answer to that question will give you the answer you are looking for.
You say you will record a max of 4 tracks, so I would say double that so you have room to expand.
If you are using the mic pres on the DM then you connect XLR if you are patching an external preamp to the DM then you use the quarter inch TRS line in connectors. If you have an analog to TDIF converter then you use the TDIF connections.
You are the only one that can determine how many ins and outs you need.
I patched EVERY connection on the back of the DM to a patchbay so I never have to go behind the desk and part of the I/O on the patchbay is connected to my wall boxes.
I spent 8 months mapping it all out.
You need to think of every possible scenario that you could run into and plan from there.

A cost effective option is to use a stagebox e.g. I have one with 12 XLR mic inputs and 4 TRS/XLR returns in the box - these go to Mic 1-12 on the DM and the returns feed cans or spkrs in the studio/booth. It has a 15m cable, can mount to the wall and is movable, but is not as elegant as fixed wiring.

As the gents above say - it really depends on your needs.

In my studio, all 16 mic inputs for the DM are hardwired to mic positions in my recording room (13), vocal booth (2) and the control room (1, for guide vocals). I soldered the XLR sockets at positions around the room, with anticipation for a 'drums corner', vocal/ horns near the window etcetera.

Then all DM line inputs go to a patch bay which is normalled to synths and other audio sources in the control room. 16 line inputs are available on a connection box, with wiring to 16 balanced line connections near the afore mentioned mic positions. At those same positions I also have my 9 headphone connections, wired via patch bay to the headphone amp.

The whole build process including audio wiring can be found here: http://www.soundbyte.nl/build/index.html Under 'Photos', phase 6 and 8 show the audio wiring work.

Tnx for answers. Good discussion

Id checked every possibility. I will need max 8 inputs. Its medium size booth with no possibilite to rec drums. So my wallbox need on one side 8 xlr for inputs. what about sends , returns , aux? Can someone "calculate" me how many connectors I will need on one side of wall box. Do I use combo conectors Mic/line or?

Is it better to connect my tascam 3200 mic preamps direct from xlr to wallbox or from tdif to some tdif/analog converter (IF-DA8)?

It's easier to wire it all up when you first do it than to go back later and add more.

Assuming your cable run is less than 20m (or so) I'd suggest:
8 x XLR for mics into the DM (that you say you need)
8 x TRS for line inputs to the DM
8 x TRS from the DM for headphones / auxilliary sends / studio spkrs
:)

Nobody in the whole wide world can answer this question but you. You are asking as if there is a standard configuration. There isn't.

I had a large live room in the previous studio. The wall plates had four XLRs for mics, one stereo 1/4" jack for the headphone distribution amp (with an iso transformer in the path), and one mono 1/4 jack for running instruments back into direct boxes or amps in the control room. That is all I needed in the whole 15 years I spent in that space.

The question is, what do you need?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.