Tascam 414 Mk II. Motor Problems?

WartimeTapestry

Gear owned
414 mkII, 246
Hey guys,

Hope you're all well. I'm here to ask for a little advice.

I've pulled my old 414 MkII out of retirement as I recently came into possession of an old Akai Reel to Reel. I'm not entirely sure what the overall goal would be with these two machines but just by having it in my house it has inspired me to fetch all my old equipment and see where it takes me.

The big problem, and reason the Tascam ended up in hiding in the first place, is that the transport seems to have some major problems.

The first major problem is that the record button seems to be stuck. It will not engage no matter what I do, whether that be tape in or out, arming tracks etc. It's admittedly been a while since I've used it, so I'm wondering if there is some method I am forgetting. However, I'm fairly sure this button was able to be pressed no matter what situation the switches were in.

Is this likely to be a full motor problem? I have seen a topic here of a member replacing the full motor system on a 242, which would hopefully have enough similarities as the 414... Perhaps it has something to do with the belts, though this seems more unlikely? I have replaced belts on my old Tascam 246 in the past so I kind of have my fingers crossed that this may be the answer, as it was a fairly simple process.

Secondly, the fast forward function seems to be gone too. Rewind and play seem to run very smoothly but fast forward is wonky and slow. THIS surely is a belt problem.

So, now the ramble is over, what do you guys think? Any advice for a fix?

Thanks for your time!
WT

Okay, perhaps I should have taken things apart before posting.

Turns out that in the motor section there was some seriously stick stuff which wasn't allowing the mechanism (whatever it may be called) from pushing back, enabling the record button to engage. Sorry guys! Gave it a big clean and air canned the insides of the machine, cleaned the heads etc and it is sounding great.

Apologies to anyone who read this!

Cheers
WT

Sometimes the repairs are not as serious as one thinks but then some people over simplify the problems and end up having a problem again very shortly. Time will tell. I do fix them though.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.