Tascam 48 Op Amp replacement

ecs787s

Gear owned
Tascam 48 - Tascam M-312b
I'd like to replace U001-U004 (NJM2043 & NJM4559-D) Op Amps with LME49860NA Op Amps. These are the higher voltage tolerance LME49720s... According to my schematic for the Tascam 48, there are close to 20v on some of the rails...

I've done this successfully with my Tascam M-312B stereo buss, but that was more straightforward with .1uf decoupling caps on pins 4 and 8 to ground.

My question is here with the Tascam 48 amp card, on U003, Pin 4 goes to ground... Do I need to do anything with that pin? Obviously, its not used for power, so putting a .1uf ceramic to ground is pointless, correct? Not sure. Need some damnnnnn help. Thanks!

windows screen capture

Last edited:
If the pin 4 is ground then the Op Amp is using a single polarity power supply which then necessitates the use of a capacitor in its output. In other words it is making a artificial ground somewhere that is near 1/2 Vcc so that the output can go above and below that.
You should know this already if you are modifying a deck. Most modifications only result in a lot of work and wasted money with no real improvement. To be sure of a mod, one would have to sweep the entire circuit to make sure the result of the one ope amp was getting through. Chances are in a op amp only mod there is very little difference- this is a typical snake oil mod as no one can tell me the resultant change other than it sounds better- If I sell you $100 of IC's and you put them in of course it sounds better!
I come from a BSEE and 45 years of experience in working with these decks. I worked at the Chicago Factory Service as Lead Technician.

Thanks for the reply. I've got it all figured out... This is in fact a schematic error in that Pin 4 of U003 gets the negative rail voltage....

I'm in agreement that op amps only will not make worlds of difference, but with a full recap and Op amps on one channel, I was able to get better transient response...probably due to the caps!

Thanks.

I do not dispute your finding but so few have ever listed an improvement so what were the changes you saw. Was it a bandwidth improvement or just a slew rate increase. I would think that one would also affect the other. In order for me to consider doing this I just like to know the numbers.

Reactions: Laszlo
DUDES! I have just acquired a Tascam M-312b and am getting NOTHING from it. It looks in great condish and all electrics, VU bulbs, buttons etc seem to work. However, the headphone jack gives off a large hum and I have not been able to provoke any single sign of life. I am running logic stereo outs into the line in on channels 1&2 and am patching out of Mon L & R into my speakers. Line is pressed on 1&2 and gain is set at 12. Pan is at 12 with L-R pressed. Faders are up. NOTHING. WTF!? Please help. Is the console dead? You would expect at least something no? The master VUs are not moving either.

Try patching into the inserts and see if you can get anything that way... do you have insert TRS send/return Y cables? That'll allow you to see if you can bypass the mic/line preamp.... just a thought.

Reactions: LordRogan
Before I write this I have to caveat everything with the following statement: I have never understood anything written by anyone on this topic. There seems to be a disconnect once this stuff has been learned, which precludes anyone from using language, which a lay person can understand. A mixer's paradox. Either that or I am a complete thicko, which is highly possible as I used to be in bands where a lot of weed was smoked. Here goes again, and I make this specific to my own set up.

I have an Apogee Quartet running Logic 9 and have a Tascam M-312b. I understand how to put signal into the desk from Logic (Apogee Outputs to Line ins). I have Aux 1, 2, 3 and 4 AND and Effects section. WTF do these all do? Auxes are usually for monitoring and Effects right? The Bus section is split into 4 channels but each of these is subdivided giving me 8 subsections. IS this for stereo? Auxes 1 and 2 are located on the channel strip while 3 and 4 are located within the bus section. The Effects knob is located on the channel strip also.

I imagine I have the choice. Use Auxes for monitoring or effects or summing? What would be the purest use of this desk?

Finally, I have the PB-32P patch bay, how the shit do I connect everything up to the right place?

So much brain hurt.

See here: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~damont/TASCAM_M-300_Series_M-312_service_manual_OCR.pdf

PLEASE use idiot speak as any Expert speak will break my will. Imagine you're talking to a slightly simple Alien that has just landed and has never seen anything like this before.

Sounds fun right? Right...?

I could write something so as to talk to a child but as you well know a child can not comprehend what the most of this subject is going to be. I think there is so much on a larger mixer that most people who are not used to them are overwhelmed.
The way to learn them is to sit down and study the manual and the parts that you should understand first is not the tiny detail stuff but the Block Diagrams. When I have a signal path question on my M50 or M520 I go directly to the block diagram as it gives me what I need to know not what Op Amps are used and that type of stuff.

On the mixer input modules you do not have 12 separate and different thing but really pretty much 12 duplicates of the first one. If you learn the path and process of this one input module then the others are for the most part the same so now you can understand the greater amount of the mixer by that method.
Next you then look into the Aux and submasters and Busses and even the stereo mix and Mono mix outs.
The audio going into this mixer is like going into 12 different funnels that have valves on them with a lot of outputs. In the 312 the outputs can be Buss (4 of them), L-R which is the Stereo buss, 2 Aux sends and a Effect send. When you open the valve to a funnel you are then assigning it to a buss- you have 4 of those to work with on this mixer or the item you are sending the signal to. The signal has to go somewhere. It just does not go out into space so the Effects for instance goes to the Effects master and then to the Effect out. What do you do with this out- whatever you want such as a plate reverb, spring reverb, Harmonizer or any piece of effect equipment you want to use. Mixers are all about versatility and how much you can do with them in the least amount of effort. Is there a standard way to hook them up? No, that is determined by the users and the other equipment he has- every install will be different.
If you understand the basics of the parts of the mixer, then walking up to any mixer no matter what size, you can understand the ideas contained on the modules. You may not know how it is wired in but they rarely spring a job on you where you don't have time to prepare for a session to learn what goes to what. There is a slate pad right above the fader on some mixers that are used to indicate what input the mixer gets it signals from. In your place you determine what to hook up to the input of the mixer. They often use a masking tape like tape and when you are done with a session rip it off and put a new piece down to wire in a new input. That is why there is a space right above the fader for you to label it.

Patch bays are nothing more than a lot of connection jacks brought out in front of you from another inaccessable place.
For instance, say your mixer is filled up and you have a DAT machine you sometimes want to hook into inputs 3,4 (L and R).
So instead of walking around or bending over the mixer to plug in The DAT cables and losing the RCA cables that were plugged in which is a real pain, you wire a set of cables from the 3,4 input to the patch bay. You bring the output of the tape deck and DAT machine into the match bay and when you want to change something you simply while still sitting down switch a couple of RCA jumpers around to accomplish the task. Many guys take all the tape outs into a patch bay so that they can add noise reduction with patch cables easier than going behind the mixer to do the same thing- many different scenes can be had- it is up to your design of all of this.
I can not give you the full course here but if you spend some time with a recording Engineer- he can in one meeting give you a lot of ideas as to how to best use your equipment. Then it is your job to go design the way you are going to hook all of this up. There can be a lot of trial and error and keep the amps down in case of unexpected feedback loops. It takes time and I was like you at one time but since learning I have built entire radio stations and help connect up others from other guys designs. Also many basement studios smaller than yours have been designed on the fly. None of those people were any smarter than you who used them.
If this sounds too complex then the only way for me to explain it would be by a meeting or training session.

Trust me, mon ami, I have! Those books are never helpful, I'm afraid, hence the post. Refer to the mixer's paradox! The above post was very well written though still slipped into technical parlance without realising it. The valve analogy was very helpful though. thank you. I still have no idea what to wire where etc Trial and error it is then, that is, after all, the reason I bought the mixer. Thanks to you all, this is a great forum.

Yeah, I removed the post almost immediately when I realized I was off the beam... but not fast enough, it seems. All apologies.

Hey I have been technical all my life and when I did not know what a term was I went and found out or asked a mentor. Maybe the best way to quickly learn all this is by a direct contact meeting. It may take time but it will make sense eventually- now who do we know that is near by that knows mixers? There has to be someone.
If you are in Chicago area- I could help?

No apology needed Jim! I thought your advice made complete sense..to most people just not ex stoner me ;) I will endeavour to seek out a physical mentor and leave you fine gentlemen alone! All the best.

Update. I'm all hooked up and have gone for a PB-32p patch bay. Managed to work it out eventually. Just need to work out how to record the mix back into my DAW and I will be ready to rock in all elements! Great desk btw ;)

These things are not that hard to work and it is just human mental block or fear that keeps people from becoming great at using this equipment. I too was a beginner back in 1982 so I would walk around to see Denny and he would explain to me what all of it was about. He was a Recording Engineer at Streeterville studio. He also became a good friend.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.