Tascam 644 bouncing and panning

Daryl johns

Gear owned
Tascam 644
I recorded on tracks 1-3. 1 and 2 are panned mid and 3 is panned like hard left or so whiny. When I try to bounced them all to track 4, when I press scene 9 the panning is weird and is muffled In one ear bud. How can I put these 3 to track 4 while maintaining the initial panning

Haven't got a 644 so ignore this if it doesn't make sense... or someone else replies :)
Afaik each of the 4 tracks is mono, so if you bounce everything to track 4, you'll end up with a mono track, i.e. no panning. What you hear depends on which track(s) your earbuds are connected to; don't know what scene 9 does but if you're monitoring in mono, the same track is going to both left & right so the sound will be central. If you're monitoring in stereo, it could be tracks 1 & 2 or tracks 3 & 4 going to left & right. The muffled sound may be due to dirty heads or worn out tape - tracks 1 & 4 are on the edges of the tape so are more critical. hth

what does afaik mean? what does monitoring mean?

AFAIK is an acronym for "As Far As I Know".

If you want to bounce tracks and keep stereo image...you need to bounce to 2 tracks not 1 (mono).

Sorry Daryl, was being lazy with the abbreviations but thanks cmaffia. I used the term as I don't have a 644 so am just going on what the manual says. Was hoping someone with a 644 would chip in with first-hand help but maybe the machines aren't so common nowadays. Not sure which bit you don't understand and what level of detail you want - could end up with a very long post if you need everything explaining, but will give it a shot...

Before you go any further though, I would make sure the heads are clean and your tape is in good condition otherwise these muffled sounds will prevent you understanding what's going on, not to mention spoiling your music. Page 42 in the manual shows how & what to clean. If you haven't got a manual, it's on the internet - if you get stuck, give me a shout and I'll email my copy. You should clean it for each session for best results. I used to have a 4-track cassette machine (Yamaha MT4X) and you can get excellent results if you keep it clean and use good tapes.
Try a test recording on all 4 tracks - use a different piece of music on each one, then play them back one at a time to confirm each one sounds crisp & clear and there is no 'leakage' from adjacent tracks.

You used the term 'bounce' in the original post so guess you're ok with what that does... combines (or mixes) one or more tracks onto a destination track. This destination could be a single track or a pair of tracks. You bounced tracks 1, 2 & 3 to track 4, so you're combining everything onto a single track, so when you listen to it (i.e. 'monitor' it) playing back, the result will be a mono signal.

If you play (monitor) a mono sound to both earbuds (or loudspeakers), the sound will appear to come from a single point in space in the middle. You can pan that mono signal left & right but the sound will always appear to come from a single point.

Stereo sounds needs 2 tracks of audio, one for the left, one for the right, and if you play these with the left signal going to the left earbud (or loudspeaker) and the right signal going to the right earbud, the sound will appear to spread out and come from all points between the two.

When you panned tracks 1 & 3 to the middle and track 3 hard left, you're defining where you want those mono tracks to be placed within the stereo spread. If you were listening to the effect with your earbuds, you were 'monitoring in stereo'. If you want to capture that effect onto tape by bouncing/mixing, you need to create a stereo recording so 2 tracks are needed.

Looking at the 644 manual, I'm guessing you're following the bounce example on page 16, but this will only create a mono sound because it bounces to a single track. I couldn't see an example of bouncing to 2 tracks, so not sure if it can be done - it's a bit difficult without the machine in front of me. If it can be done, then obviously you could only use a maximum of 2 tracks as the source, otherwise you'd run out of tracks.

There's another example on page 12 for mixing all 4 tracks onto a stereo 'master', but this needs a separate recorder because there are no spare tracks on the 644. Even mixing 3 tracks to stereo may be impossible within the 644. There may be a way of overwriting one or more of the original tracks during the bounce, but this would be dangerous as you'd only get one shot at doing this!

As you can appreciate, if the 644 only has 4 recordable tracks, you're quite restricted if you want to bounce stereo signals around within the same machine.

So, pending a real 644 owner confirming this, hope this helps.
Phil.

Real 644 owner here. In my experience with bouncing multiple tracks to a single mono track, if one of the tracks is panned hard left, the volume of that source will not sound as loud as the tracks that had been centered.

There is no means to bounce three tracks to one mono track, and retain a stereo image. As Phil states, bounce to another cassette deck and use that new cassette as your tracks 1 and 2. The caveat of this is I have found that the 644 head alignment is not exactly that of a standard consumer cassette deck.

I am a 688 owner, but the principles are the same when bouncing tracks. With a four track recorder you can combine/mix 3 tracks on to one track, but in mono only. That mono track can then be panned left and right in any future mix. To gain an extra "take"( recording), you can play along with the tracks as you bounce, but you won't be able to remix the new instrument separately. When using a four track recorder, bouncing, you can actually record quite a lot of individual instruments, but you do lose the stereo imaging.
the normal way to do this would be to record tracks 1, 2 and 3, then bounce/mix to track 4.
You then now have 3 tracks free to record on ( losing the original content of course !).
You can do the same thing again, record on tracks 1 and 2, and bounce them to track 3.
This leaves you two free tracks to record on..
I have never gone further than that with a four track machine, but I think you could actually record many more "takes", by bouncing previously " bounced " tracks together. Problem is that every time tracks are bounced, there is a loss in quality, which would become quite noticeable if repeated many times. This is a bit difficult to explain in words, so forgive me if this sounds a bit complicated. One thing to remember though is that when you decide to bounce tracks together you have to be sure the balance of the individual takes is what you actually desire in the final mix, as you can't undo the balance within any bounced track.

New threads

Members online