Tascam DM-3200 as an external effects module

morpheus

Gear owned
Tascam DM-3200
Hello.

My connection looks like this:
Neumann U87 -> Focusrite ISA One -> Apollo Twin MK2 DUO.
Tascam DM-3200 IF-FW/DMMKII is connected as a Logic Pro X controller.

I would like to start using the DM-3200 also as an external effects processor.
I am sending a signal from ISA One by SEND OUTPUT to LINE-IN INPUT on DM-3200 CH1 and back from DM-3200 CH1 by INSERT OUTPUT to RETURN INPUT in ISA One.
After pressing the INSERT button on ISA One, the signal goes through the mixer, goes back to the preamplifier and I can record it by Apollo Twin in Logic.

Unfortunately I can not edit the signal with Tascam. I can not change the volume with the fader. I can not use effects from Tascam. Signal goes through the mixer, i can hear it on monitors, but the mixer does not show any signal on the display. The signal only reacts to trim and I can record it without any problem, but without the mixer effects.

This is my first post in this forum.
My english is not the best, so I hope everything is understandable.

Please help me.

Welcome @morpheus!
As far as I can see, you are forgetting an essential step. It's a common mistake, because most people think input 1 is the same as channel 1. You just found out it isn't. :) You can route any input/output to/from any channel in the DM.
The routing is going fine as you already noticed yourself, but what you are doing is purely routing an input to an output, withut anything happening in de desk itself!

You would need to route the incoming signal to a channel inside the DM. This channel would use its corresponding fader, volume display etc. Also, you can use the effects on this channel. Next you would need to route THIS channel to your output.

I am no expert in routing, often fiddle with this myself, but there are many posts and documents in this forum that can help you find your way.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Members online