Tascam dm 3200 + digi 003 + adat + logic

elephant studios

Gear owned
tascam dm 3200
HI CAN YOU HELP WITH AN ISSUE AM HAVING? MY DIGI 003 RACK IS CONNECT TO MY PC WITH A FIREWIRE CABLE, AND THEN MY TASCAM DM 3200 IS CONNECTED TO THE 003 WITH TOSLINK ADAT CABLE , MY MAIN PROBLEM IS , IN PRO TOOLS EVERY THING IS WORKING FINE , BUT IN LOGIC PRO X, PROPELLERHEAD REASON, AND MY NATIVE INSTRUMENT MASCHINE IS NOT SEEING THE ADATS , IT IS SEEING IT AS A AN ANALOG IN AND OUTS, AND THE 003 IS RECEIVING AUDIO FROM THE COMPUTER BUT THE SOUND IS NOT PASSING THROUGH MY DM 3200 TO MY MONITORS , ANY IDEAR PLZ? THANK YOU

If it's sees the Analog I/O, just change 8 channels on the DM to Mic/Line
and if it's toslink or adat optical, it has to go into the back of the DM to be seen as ADAT
and then change those 8 channels to ADAT

Also, just thought about something TOSLINK is looked at sometimes as SPDIF, only 2 channels
so you must configure it for 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: elephant studios
yes on the tascam i changed the first 8 channels to ADAT , pro tool is seeing it as ADAT, the set up is working fine in pro tools but not in logic pro x, Reason , or Native instruments, this three softwares are not seeing it as Analog , the 003 is receiving sound i can listen through my headphones, but that sound is not passing through to the dm 3200
thank you

Make the necessary setting in each program, Logic>Preferences>Audio etc..

Also, the way you explained everything, you would hear through the 003, that's the soundcard (persay) do you have the output of the 003 going into the DM ?

It just hit me

PC to 003 via FIREWIRE check, that's why you get signal in and it's fine
ADAT optical out of 003 to DM3200 CHECK, but you are not getting a signal
but you said in PRO -TOOLS says ANALOG, change the analog to ADAT

You should have 8 analog (on the back ,
and 8 digital (optical) giving you 16

Last edited:
yes in Logic i choose 003 as the interface , it is ADAT , but it is only one Adat cable going out from the 003 to the dm 3200 input, the thing is, that in pro tools it seeing as Adat connect but in logic it is seeing it as analog , may be i need to choose different channels , and i need to have idear of the right channels

Is PRO-TOOLS still on ? that's one of the reasons I dont care for PRO-TOOLS, it's a computer HOG. what I mean is when you turn on LOGIC, is PRO-TOOLS software, closed completely and you are using just LOGIC, at that point, however you are passing info into PRO-TOOLS, it should go through the same way. 003,

it's weird cause when I was using the 002 I went back and forth from PRO-TOOLS to LOGIC, not prob, heard all my stuff via the output of the 002 stereo out into the DM3200, hmmmm

Last edited:
i close pro tools first because it wont let logic open on it own, rather rewire

something is missing, something isn't routed correctly, you should get that IFFW Card for the DM3200, put that firewire from your computer right into the DM, ((that's the way I run stuff now)) do all your routing threw the DM, and have control over every DAW, and have 32 as opposed to your 8 or 16 whichever your using.

But I'm still thinking on your situation.

DRIVERS, did you update any drivers ???

I use MAC so I'm not sure on PC so much, but yeah, drivers (and what version of Logic 9 or 10)
Pro Tools 10 or 11 or lesser

Last edited:
HI I HAVE THE IFFW CARD WHICH RUNS FINE IT CAME WITH DM3200 SO AT LEAST I DIDNT BOUGHT IT SEPARATELY , I JUST THOUGHT MAY BE THE SOUND QUALITY WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER, IF I USE THE 003 WITH IT , AS KIND OF ANALOG SOUND,

HOW DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE SOUND QUALITY OF IFFW CARD ? CAN IT BE USE FOR FINAL PRODUCT QUALITY?

There is no conversion on the firewire card as the conversion is done in the console. The IF-FW/DMmkII is just an interface that passes the audio digitally to and from the DM. Considering that the DM's converters are at least 11 year old, they are surprisingly good enough for final productions. If in the future you'd like to upgrade, the DM's are flexible enough to incorporate alternate A/D - D/A conversion. My suggestion to new owners has always been to use the DM with the IF-FW/DMmkii for a while before expanding. If you can't make a great production with those components alone then you're doing something wrong.

elephant studios

You should listen to some of the people on the boards music, (ie ME, and cmaffia)
just take a listen and turn it loud, LOL

If the quality you hear isn't good enough then, so be it, but my 16,000 sales must suck then.

I just don't understand why you are using the 003, when you can do ALL (( LOGIC, PRO-TOOLS and what EVER ELSE) through the DM/Firewire card ?????

Also, if you stuck on that ANALOG SOUND thing, I believe that's OUTBOARD processors that do that trick, I just route mine in, or just record vocals through a tube processor (analog) and vwala. All 003 has (and what you paid for) are converters, you'd be far better off with control with the DM, and I don't know what plug-ins you are using, but LOGIC is a beast in itself.

I don't know, wish i lived closer to you, would love to just visually SEE what'cha doing, but hey.

All my music done in LOGIC X and mixed, eq'd & mastered with the DM3200 via firewire card both albums. and I stopped using my MOTU2408 MKII & Digi 002

HI I HAVE THE IFFW CARD WHICH RUNS FINE IT CAME WITH DM3200 SO AT LEAST I DIDNT BOUGHT IT SEPARATELY , I JUST THOUGHT MAY BE THE SOUND QUALITY WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER, IF I USE THE 003 WITH IT , AS KIND OF ANALOG SOUND,

HOW DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE SOUND QUALITY OF IFFW CARD ? CAN IT BE USE FOR FINAL PRODUCT QUALITY?
With all due respect @elephant studios, why are you shouting?

@BLIZZY1BLIZZY No worries. Really doesn't bother me either. Just thought that I'd lighten things a bit. I am sure that @elephant studios appreciates all the help that you and others are providing. Hats off to you my forum friend.

@cmaffia , @BLIZZY1BLIZZY and @Peter Batah i want to say thank you guys , i mean really very much thank you guys , i appreciate your replies, i never really spend much time with the dm, it is the first standard studio equipment so i wanted to know how far and how much it handle projects and quality, but now i am confident of what i am gonna out from the mixer and the IFFW card , i have some album projects i need to take on so i will be learning the board while working
thankx guys

Reactions: Peter Batah
@elephant studios You are most welcome. I too have only had my DM since late March of this year. Don't despair, you are not alone! Quite the learning experience. But, it's been made so enjoyable and less daunting by the great folks that you mentioned in your post (and others). Have a great weekend.

New threads

Members online