Tascam dm3200 mastering

Comandantu Renegat

Gear owned
Tascam DM-3200
hello folks
it has been a while since my last loging but now I'm back and I need your help
I don't know if this is the right section to post this but I will take my chances

So ... I own the Tascam-3200 and I wanna build a rack for mastering like , EQ , Multiband Comp , Compresor and Limiter

Anyone can agree whit me that no plugin can do what the hardware can do , like many of you I want the best quality sound for my music .

What do you recomand for me ?

Actually, that last statement is not true. While some very good hardware exists for mastering and any other phase of music production, there are also many great plug-ins available today that meet and can exceed a piece of hardware. In fact, many plug-ins can perform operations that are impossible with hardware.

A better way to think about this is that we each may have preferences, either based on sonic flavor, specific functionality, or even convenience. One's approach can and should be guided more by need and preference than any absolute. So, if you prefer a solely hardware approach to mastering, you can go that route and get excellent results. However, it'll almost always be a more expensive route than using plug-ins alone or than a hybrid approach utilizing some hardware and software.

Neither hardware or software is always better; that's no more true than saying tubes are always better than solid state. Rather, it depends on your preferences and the goal you're trying to achieve. Sometimes it comes down to something as simple as, I used what I had available. Many extremely creative solutions have come about that way.

P.S. I meant to include that I've had very good luck with Izotope's Ozone Advanced. It includes EQ , Multiband Compressor and Limiter as you asked about, but also includes much more, such as a dynamic EQ, a vintage limiter, a maximizer, vintage tape module, stereo imager, decent dithering ability , extensive metering, and still more. Other vendors also have some great products, I just like Ozone the best. And I've come to realize that the ultimate sound I produce has more to do with my competence and creativity (or not) than with any particular plug-in or piece of hardware.

I hope this helps.

I have a tube compressors and eq & mic pre and a tc electronics finalizer express.

That I no longer use, due to acquiring: SSL plugins and izotope and WAVES plug-ins, it's a matter of taste, I did both, but now have teetered on the plug in side.

The choice is yours, you can get with this, or you can get with that. ha ha, couldn't resist.

i was thinking about building my self a dbx 500 series rack , eq de-esser,compresor and limiter and hook that whit the tascam ( assignable sned / return )
I don't know if i'm doing it right but the ideia was for exemple :

I like to work out of box , don't like them plugins very much ...so , i have like 13 input's , threat eache channel individual , ajust the volums , balancing evrything nice and smoth then send all the 13 input's to buss 1-2 and the buss it's link to the DBX rack ( for the final master ) then record the final master like ........ on a tape recorder

yeah ! i know ... then i have to record again from the tape on the computer ....

Last edited:
I'm just a bit lost ... cause i see a bunch of tutorial on internet and they have this big ass SSL console and they still use plugins and pro tools and wave pluig and other stuff ... and i'm like ..... so why do you have a room full of compresor's and eq's and you still use plugins

PS : let's face it ... you can Izotope's Ozone Advanced for 500 € and you have all kind of plugin's and they sound great don't get me wrong but when you buy just one multibandcompresor ( 2500 € ) you start to see the difference immediately

price = quality ... and always , i mean ALWAYS when you trie to do something , anything cheap you eventualy pay double

That's your take on it bro, I see different. However with the SSL board, the console itself (eq's, compressor, etc) is unmistakably quality. As for the room of compressors and eq's "people are finicky" they want choices, what else do you expect when you come to a big/major studio.

Also MIC wise, is another obstacle, so the combination of the mic integrated with the board, then (IF, IF) needed touching up you can use plug-ins, instead routing outboard gear gives you that possibility.

When you say "buy cheap" it's not about that, it's about purchasing what works for you, or what you know how to work to your advantage. All of this is debatable but that's why people have the right to make their own choices.

Do what you do, I do what I do, in the end, its about the song anyway, and who cranked out a hit.

I've never heard any regular consumer say
"Damn, the way they used that plug-in/compressor/mic/tube equalizer/DBX series/AVALON/SSL sure did sound good on that joint when Im dancing in the club"

young-man-smirking-10872412.jpg

Reactions: Peter Batah
Yo Blizzy! Who's the handsome devil? Really enjoyed Vegas BTW. What are you using for the brass lines?

"Damn, the way they used that plug-in/compressor/mic/tube equalizer/DBX series/AVALON/SSL sure did sound good on that joint when Im dancing in the club"

god one :LOL:

New threads

Members online