Tascam DP 008EX | Need help: Can't get my master to my SD Card

weltraumhannes

Hello, everyone,

I am very excited about the Tascam DP 008EX. I play acoustic guitar. At the moment I have problems to create a master and get it on the SD card.

I have tried to document as briefly as possible, which steps I take, so that perhaps someone finds the error. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me. This is what i do:

• Enable
  • Press menu
  • Go to song
  • Go to Create and press F4 to confirm.
  • Then on HOME go to main page
  • Connect guitar to input A
  • Assign track 1 to the guitar as recording source with the ASSIGN button.
  • Adjusting the Input Level and Listening to Guitar Signals
  • Record the guitar on track 1. I can then listen to the song.
  • Up to here everything is no problem

Then both the manual describes in detail how
you're now picking up more tracks. But that is not relevant for me,
because I only want to record the guitar.

So I jump in the manual to the point: create (stereo)mix.

To record, I press the In/out button and mark it on the
Record the start and end points of what is to be mixed.

Then I go to MIXDOWN and press enter F4. On the display
MIXDOWN appears. Then I press like play button and then additionally
the record button to record the stereo mix between the IN and Out points.
to record.

That still seems to work. Then I go to the next point in
of the manual: Mastering the stereo mix.

To do this I press the Bounce /Mixdown/ Mastering button. The following page appears
RECORDER-MODE.

There I go to Mastering and press the enter key F4.
There the display shows NO MASTER TRACK and now
I don't know what to do...

Even if I had an artificial stereo mix
from three tracks (one guitar with turned up knob and track 2
and 3 with closed knob, but recorded, are available again and again at
Mastering the note NO MASTER TRACK.

Maybe someone sees, where i'm doing a mistake.

Last edited:
I don't have a dp008 so this is just from your description and the manual...
Your description
"Then I press like play button and then additionally the record button to record the stereo mix between the IN and Out points to record."
suggests you may have pressed the Play button a fraction before the Record button. With any of these 'double button' operations, it's crucial which button you press first. In this case, you must press & hold the Record button first, and only then press & release the Play button. Then you can release the record button.
The record light will indicate if you have done this correctly.
If it didn't light up, this is your problem.
If it did light up, then the mixdown must be recording ok, in which case I don't know what else to suggest. If the card was full, I would expect a warning message, so it can't be this.
Sorry can't be more help.

I was finally able to make mine work. It seems that.....if the SDCard is not formatted as "FAT 32" - it mounts to a Windows computer but shows NO FILES!

All I did was reformat the card to FAT and I was able to use it ok. The problem with all these small "software controlled devices" is that they are WAY over complicated, and the documentation is already huge, and they just can't explain every darned thing. It's a design problem centered around the use if microprocessors. Once there is a uP installed in a device, the programmers just won't stop until they have crammed 1 million totally useless features into it......because the CAN.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
This has probably already been answered, but after several days I found the answer in the manual. It's not in the order that you would expect, meaning it should be right after MASTERING. You simply have to exit mastering mode, go to ''menu'', ''song'', and then dial down to ''import/export''. Export the mastered song and it will save as a WAV file that can be read on your computer. This is on page 65 of the manual, after many tedious miscellaneous sections in between, recording, mixdown, and mastering.

Reactions: dctdct
Good point @Sunnypm : It cannot be referred enough to beginners. The concept of the "downmix/mastertrack" - which is embedded as additional stereo track in the songfile - is not explained at all. At least not for the small Pocketstudios. There is also no way to explore the song files, because the Pocketstudios keeps the internal song file structure buryied in the MTR partitions on the card, which cannot be accessed by a computer.
As soon you understand this concept of the invisible mastertrack, it becomes obvious to just export the hidden mastertracks like every other track into the FAT partition. Et voilà, the mastefile appears in the /WAV folder.

I found a guy called Studio on a Stick on You Tube who does brilliant tutorial videos for the DP 008 ex e.g.
. Hope that helps.

New threads

Staff online

Members online