Tascam dp-03sd Inputs

hairy tongue hairdo

Gear owned
DP-03SD
Hello, and thank you for all your help. Are the xlr inputs on the 03sd only for mics? I'd like to take the xlr balanced out from my bass preamp and go into the xlr balanced input on the recorder. The preamp also has an unbalanced quarter inch out. Just looking for the cleanest, safest way to get the signal into the recorder. If not this, would I need to use a di box? Thanks again for all your help.

If your recorder has a line input, you should use that with the line output of your preamp.

Sorry, @-mjk- but I'm afraid I disagree. If a bass preamp (or guitar amp) has a balanced XLR output, it is usually meant to be there so one doesn't need a DI - it is in fact a built in DI. (Ofcourse we can only be 100% sure when knowing the make and type of the preamp)

So I would connect it directly to the XLR input of the recorder, if only because it is a balanced signal which theoretically is the cleanest signal. The unbalanced output is usually meant to go to a guitar tuner - but ofcourse it can also be used.

Reactions: Max Relic and -mjk-
Sure @Arjan P. The potential for overloading the mic pre with the line level signal, balanced or not may be hard for some to deal with. Also, once the signal becomes amplified to line level, the difference between balanced and unbalanced becomes less of an issue. In view of the foregoing, I recommended line-to-line unbalanced because it significantly reduced the potential for overload. But yeah.

Reactions: Arjan P
You are right in the sense that it would be the safer option regarding overload at the recorder. But other issues like noise could pop up. In practice - it will probably be a theoretical issue and you won't be able to tell the difference between the two. So, yeah, indeed.. ;)

Reactions: -mjk-
;)

mjk, Arjon P, thank you both for all of your advice, it's greatly appreciated. The bass preamp pedal in question, is the Bergantino Super pre. I reached out to them, probably get a response fairly soon. They'll probably echo everything that both of you have said. I just don't want to run the risk of frying anything. Thanks again for all your help. Take care.

New threads

Members online