Tascam FW-1884 with Windows 11

TheBeatles

Greetings, I have been successfully using (with quirks) the FW-1884 in W10 after all the great help and tutorials by DeeringAmps. I've been avoiding upgrading the OS by buying a more advanced computer with W11 bc I fear it would also force me to abandon finally the FW-1884 and cough up more $$$ for a newer but maybe less feature full control surface plus spending for a new audio interface combo to take its place. I'd like to spend as little as possible and keep getting the value out of the old gear I have, and besides that there is no contemporary unit that matches the versatility of the FW-1884 that functions as a control surface, an audio interface and a MIDI controller all-in-one like this unit. Or is there? My DAW budget has been reduced to staying afloat in the real world these days. I usually buy like at least 3 generations behind the curve after the price drops for studio recording gear. So...
Big Q ... has anyone successfully managed to continue using the FW-1884 in W11 without major speed bumps?

Reactions: Fenncoop
That seems to be the thing, once you start upgrading anything, it snow balls into MO money, MO learning curves on and on.

I'm in the same mindset as OP, usng my gear for as long as it works. I bought my Tascam FW-1883 used for $100! (I also bought the FW 1082 and the FW 1804 used).

Though looking at some powerful PC's with Windows 10 or Windows 11 looks enticing, I'd much rather run Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on any future PC ... if i can install and run it, which I've been trying to research doing just that on some Lenovo & HP professional work stations, within the use/off-lease market place. Many of these were out out originally with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, but have now been upgrade for sale with Win 10 & Win 11, which I don't want. Benn eyeballing some that came out with Windows 10, so I'd like to know if I can install Windows 7 Pro on the instead!
BTW, I'm done building PC's from scratchm, particularly since I took a chance on a used/off lease machine that blew my socks off.

My music machines are never used for internet, and never will be, so I dont have any reason to use any OS above Windows 7 Pro.
Granted there's a number of software & hardware offerrings that require Windows 10 and up, so I just avoid those.

You really have to ask yourselves if the upgrade snow balling is worth what you think you need. I run Cubase 8.5 Pro on a 12 core Lenovo ThinkStation D-20 with 48 GB ram, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and my choice of whichever Tascam FW interface I feel like using (FW 1884/FW 1082/FW 1804).

In a perfect imaginary world, we could use any old or new hardware & software at will, interfaces, computers, OS's etc.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.