Tascam fw1884 wont connect to MacbookPro

smith

Gear owned
Tascam FW-1884
Hi, I just got the Tascam FW-1884 and I'm new to recording. I'm trying to set it up with my 2012 Macbook Pro (OSX 10.8.2). I think I did everything I was supposed to do as far as driver installations and what not. I did what the set up guide told me to do and it said once I installed everything, my computer would recognize it once I plugged it in (via firewire). But when I plug it in, nothing happens... the firewire light doesn't light up on the 1884 and nothing appears on my laptop. Please help me out!!!

Hi. I'm not familiar with Macs. Do they still come with a firewire interface, or did you connect an external one? The reason I ask is that we know the Tascam unit works reliably only with a firewire card that has a chipset made by TI (Texas instruments). I thought Apple had phased out firewire?

Try another cable to rule out a bad one?

And, do you know the Tascam works (I'm assuming it's used)?

Good luck.

Riojazz, it has a firewire port. What is the TI chipset? I've heard about it but i don't know what it is exactly. The Tascam is used and seems to work completely fine. It just won't be recognised by my computer :/

Well, the TI chipset is only relevant if you are buying a firewire card. I don't know, but must assume the FW-1884 works with Macbook Pro computers or it would be common knowledge.

So should I buy a firewire card with a TI chipset?

I really don't know. You need someone who has successfully used the FW-1884 on a Mac to answer that. Good luck.

I had the same problem. You have to run your mac in 32-bit mode (presumedly yours is running in 64). Restart your mac and hold down key 3 and 2. Google it for mor info! Unfortunately the 1884 will never run in 64 bit, except if tascam is going to update their drivers, but they never do that with discontinued products.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.