Tascam MSR-16 Low Playback Level - Help!

Dean Gullberrys

From
Whittier, CA
Gear owned
DM24, MSR16
I fired up my trusty MSR-16 1/2" multitrack this past weekend are experiencing a strange issue with the recorder. My input levels are nice and healthy, but playback levels are extremely low and noisy. I tried several reels of NOS Quantegy 456 tape and old tapes for comparison. All my old tapes playback at their original recorded volumes, but any new recordings playback at a much lower level that their input signals.

I thoroughly cleaned the heads with 99% isopropanol alcohol and still no improvement.

Any ideas or suggestions?

If the problem is the same for all tracks I think the problem must be tape bias, did you say you recorded a new recording on the old tape and that was also coming back at a lower volume?

Is the noise reduction switched in?

Cheers
Alan.

I had similar issue with our newly obtained MSR-16. We had great level to tape but horrid sound and low level on playback. Turned out the tape we got with the machine was not stored properly and was shredding horribly. We bought a new pancake of ATR 465 and it works flawless.

Regards,
Paul Walters
AP Radio & Recording
apradio.net

Tape hiss can not affect the level of the machine as they are totally different things. Two things cause lack of proper record levels and one is residue on the head- stop using Isopropyl as it does not break down oxides. Then if the deck is not then recording right then it may have not been adjusted to the tape you are using. Also a decay of power supply voltage to the bias amps can cause lower levels as the bias is not where it should be. People continue to overlook old electrolyitc caps as if they all last 100 years.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.