Tascam Porta05 weak playback

boofstudios

Gear owned
Tascam Porta05
I have a tascam porta 05 that i bought recently off ebay, it had the same issue all of them do where the plastic mount for the tape heads broke where the actuator spring rests. i glued the broken piece back together as per the advice of this youtube video:

now the playback function is working as it should, but everything i record is low quality and incredibly quiet, basically as loud as the noise floor. i took it to a shop where they told me my tape heads weren’t aligned correctly, but they would charge me $100 an hour to align them. they basically told me to just replace it, but that’s easier said than done and i’m already on my second porta 5. i took it home and tried to align them myself and after i did, noticed a significant improvement in the sound, but after accidentally leaving it on overnight it’s right back to the same output i started at on the tracks i’ve recorded. i can input +6 db on the recorder and when played back it will only reach -20db on the monitor, any ideas on what it could be? i’ve tried aligning the tape heads again with little luck. could they need demagnetized? i can’t find any info about what else it could be so anything is appreciated thank you

could they need demagnetized?
Magnetized heads erase high frequencies a few dB per pass and have very little if anything to do with the problem you've described.

porta 5. i took it home and tried to align them myself
While this is an example of the correct process for electrical calibration and alignment of professional analog open-reel tape recorders, the principles apply to cassette recorders too.

Do you have the necessary test gear, cassette calibration tapes, and factory specs? It should take a professional, reputable repair shop about one hour or less to complete the process for 4 tracks, or diagnose why electrical or physical alignment can't be done to factory spec.

everything i record is low quality and incredibly quiet...after accidentally leaving it on overnight it’s right back to the same output i started at on the tracks i’ve recorded.
There could be numerous reasons: Poor tape path contact (incorrect physical adjustment of head azimuth alignment; worn pinch roller; dirty heads; worn heads); incorrect electrical alignment (bias adjustment; eq adjustment; mismatched record/playback alignment); worn out electrical components; and so on. It could even be due to the cassette case itself (worn/dirty pressure pad). So troubleshooting becomes a process of elimination and depends on how many electrical and physical adjustments can be made and tested to factory spec. Unless you have the knowledge and test gear, diagnosis is best left to a professional, reputable repair shop.

@SkywaveTDR on this site was a TASCAM repair technician, so he may have some thoughts on this. He still logs on from time to time.

Last edited:
any ideas on what it could be?

The shop told you the heads were out of alignment. Do you not believe them? The symptoms you describe fit the diagnosis perfectly.

i’ve tried aligning the tape heads again with little luck.
they would charge me $100 an hour to align them.

Now you know why. It's no job for an amateur with no test equipment or a calibrated alignment tape.

When I was young I worked in a factory that made cassette decks. It didn't take an hour to align the heads on a machine. Ask the shop how long they think it would take. My guess is 30 minutes or less. It's not that big of a deal but you have to have the gear and the alignment tape or you're just wasting time.

Reactions: Mark Richards
of course i believed them but their answer was essentially that i would be better off replacing the machine rather than getting it serviced. i can post a video of the recorder if that would help

@boofstudios said
of course i believed them but their answer was essentially that i would be better off replacing the machine rather than getting it serviced.

OK. You believed what they said but you can't accept the fact that you have to pay to get it fixed. You seem to be of the opinion that somehow, there must be a way to repair the machine and get out of this without spending any money. This is not a criticism. I like to repair my own gear too, and many of us on the forum do also. So this is the right place to find answers, but you won't find anyone who will validate unreasonable expectations. Unless you have the equipment and experience, the only way to get it fixed for free is if you know someone who will agree to do it for you for free. Sorry.

i can post a video of the recorder if that would help

You're welcome to post all you want on the forum. That's not an issue. I don't see how posting a video will change the outcome. The only thing remaining is for you to decide if you want to put more money into a cassette recorder that is probably 30-something years old.

A quick search turned up some of the exact same units that have been fully serviced, new belts, fully aligned, etc.. Unless you got married to it, I would sell it on ebay and invest in one of those serviced units and be done with it.

Alternatively you can ask @SkywaveTDR if he would be willing to take a look at it. He's a very well known and trusted repair tech with considerable experience with Tascam/Teac equipment.

@-mjk- has anyone ever told you you’re demeaning? i’m a 20 year old, trying to get into a hobby that doesn’t seem to have a lot of people keeping it going and you’ve been nothing but rude. the only reason someone would genuinely want to pick this up as a project is out of genuine passion, curiosity and interest. a tascam porta 05 was gifted to me when i was 15 in perfect working order, and after recording all my first songs on it, it broke on me. i found one on ebay and the listing said it worked, but it didn’t, and seeing that there was a couple youtube videos on the problem i was facing, i decided to tackle it myself. i’m a hobbyist mechanic who works on classic chevy engines in my free time, so i’m well accustomed to doing things by procedure and measuring fine precision. after i had more problems than i anticipated, i sought out help locally and after the shop turned me down (it wasn’t about not wanting to spend any money, it was that they didn’t want to work on something they didn’t have any experience with, nor a schematic to go off of.) i thought it might be a good idea to seek help on the forums to see if i can’t diagnose it myself like i have countless times on my vehicles. now i see why no one does this as a hobby, the barrier of entry is impenetrable and the community is hostile. i’ll find the information i need elsewhere. i’m no genius but i can understand the logic of a machine, and i don’t need the help of some sexually frustrated prick to do so.

has anyone ever told you you’re demeaning? i’m a 20 year old, trying to get into a hobby that doesn’t seem to have a lot of people keeping it going and you’ve been nothing but rude...now i see why no one does this as a hobby, the barrier of entry is impenetrable and the community is hostile. i’ll find the information i need elsewhere. i’m no genius but i can understand the logic of a machine, and i don’t need the help of some sexually frustrated prick to do so.

@boofstudios, you are way out of line.

mjk and I are professional audio engineers with several decades between us using and maintaining world class analog and digital studio gear.

I took my valuable time to try and help you understand the process and test gear necessary to work on your ancient 4 track cassette machine. I didn't get so much as a "thank you" post, or even a simple "Like" from you. That, pal, is rude.

p.s. I could have pointed you to several authoritative hobbyist resources to help you get into vintage analog tape recording and maintenance. But instead, I'll just say "bye-bye, bubba".

Last edited:
Reactions: boofstudios
This thread is now locked. I'm going to prevent anyone from harming your safe space by giving you any more answers that you aren't ready to accept.

Reactions: boofstudios
I unlocked this thread. @boofstudios you have the right to say whatever you want. I over-stepped my authority and I apologize.

I hope that a forum member can come up with a solution to your problem that allow you to proceed with the repair of your machine.

IMO, the approach here towards a new forum member could be a little less hostile - even though a 'thank you' from the other side would be nice too. I see assumptions taking place like 'amateur', assuming there is no knowledge at all, while the OP does speak of results like -20 dBs and comparing that to input levels. Especially when after a few posts it appears the new member is a 20-year old trying a new hobby with legacy gear - I'd say we should encourage that and not discourage it with an attitude. My opinion.

Reactions: Caveman

New threads

Members online

No members online now.