Tdif routing dm3200

CB Radio

Gear owned
Tascam DM 3200
Hello,
I am new to the forum but I have been using the wealth of information here to configure my setup. I am attempting to route my DM3200 to an otari radar II recorder using the tdif connections. Before purchasing my DM3200 I was recording analogue into the radar with an A&H GL2400 using the direct outs into the analogue cards of the radar. I have been able to play those recordings back with the tdif connections on the DM3200 with no issues. I would now like the use the DM3200 as my main console to have all the functions provided by it, such as effects, busses, routing ect.. I am having trouble sending audio signal into the radar using the tdif connections from the M/L connections on the DM3200. I am not sure if there is another way to connect the DM3200 and radar? My signal chain is setup currently as..

Routing screen input tab:
1) M/L 1-8 ins - returning to tdif 1 (1-8)
2) M/L 9-16 ins - returning to tdif 2 (1-8)

Routing Screen output tab
Tdif 1 (M/L input bypass 1-8)
Tdif 2 (M/L input bypass 9-16)

When I arm the corresponding tracks on the otari radar II I'm receiving no signal from the Tdif connections. I was trying this current setup from information found in reading the manual and a forum post here on routing setup by TascMan which I found very helpful. I have also read the Zen routing post which again has made the routing page a bit less daunting. My questions are: am I routing the M/L ins to the tdif returns correctly? Also am I outputting the Tdifs correctly to the recorder? Should I not by using the M/L input bypass on the tdif output slots? Hope my initial post is not to long but I am trying to convey as much information as possible about my current setup if it will help solve this routing problem. Thank you to anyone who takes time to read this and thank you in advance for any responses, help, advice, or suggestions to get my set up correct and up and running!

Thanks,
CB Radio

Hi. You do NOT route the TDIF through the M/L inputs in the D3200. Just use the jog shuttle wheel to go directly to TDIF and just insert TDIF 1-8 in the first 8 inputs of the console. You're not using the M/L inputs at this point.

Reactions: CB Radio
Hi...Thanks for your reply. I was able to get it working correctly! It turned out to be a tdif sync/clock issues on the recorder. Thanks again for the help it is very much appreciated!

Reactions: jamsire
hello again,
Sorry to revive this thread but I am still having problems. I have been able to send signal through tdif on certain channels from the mixer to my recorder (although not consistently). The basics of my signal is coming from M/L ins and outputting via tdif to my recorder. When initially trying this configuration I was able to send and record via the tdif's to the recorder on various tracks. Other tracks would have varying amounts of digital noise. Some times spiking and other times present in varying degrees. When I use the radar recorder as the master clock I am able to sync the tdif and word sync options from the project clock menu on the DM3200. When using the tascam mixer as the master clock, I am once again able to sync via a word clock option on my radar recorder which in turns enables a chase mode which constantly blinks and does not seem to sync.
Previously when checking the tdif I/O detials on the digital menu of the DM3200 I would get a message stating the RX/TX on the I/O's are normal and the FS would show 44.1/48 (depending on which was being tested). The word clock on the in would show a 16 bit length and 24 bit length on the out.

Now when syncing I am no longer able to get signal to the recorder via the tdif. Not on channels I am sending over, nor digital noise either. When I check the tdif details menu I know get random information about the tdif connections. Sometimes saying unknown or Dual Line 88.1 all of which seem to be random. I have tried two sets of BNC cables to trouble shoot them. I am using Hosa tdif cables and do not seem to have any problems with these. Does anyone have any idea's that might help trouble shoot these issues? I have been through the manual's over and over trying to find out if I am overlooking something. Thank you again for reading and any advice the could help resolve this issue. Please Help!!!

Edit: it is only on the inputs of the tdif detials: RX is showing random information. The output always shows normal with the correct FS and word length at 24 bit.

Thanks,
CB Radio

Last edited:
hello again,
Sorry to revive this thread but I am still having problems. I have been able to send signal through tdif on certain channels from the mixer to my recorder (although not consistently). The basics of my signal is coming from M/L ins and outputting via tdif to my recorder. When initially trying this configuration I was able to send and record via the tdif's to the recorder on various tracks. Other tracks would have varying amounts of digital noise. Some times spiking and other times present in varying degrees. When I use the radar recorder as the master clock I am able to sync the tdif and word sync options from the project clock menu on the DM3200. When using the tascam mixer as the master clock, I am once again able to sync via a word clock option on my radar recorder which in turns enables a chase mode which constantly blinks and does not seem to sync.
Previously when checking the tdif I/O detials on the digital menu of the DM3200 I would get a message stating the RX/TX on the I/O's are normal and the FS would show 44.1/48 (depending on which was being tested). The word clock on the in would show a 16 bit length and 24 bit length on the out.

Now when syncing I am no longer able to get signal to the recorder via the tdif. Not on channels I am sending over, nor digital noise either. When I check the tdif details menu I know get random information about the tdif connections. Sometimes saying unknown or Dual Line 88.1 all of which seem to be random. I have tried two sets of BNC cables to trouble shoot them. I am using Hosa tdif cables and do not seem to have any problems with these. Does anyone have any idea's that might help trouble shoot these issues? I have been through the manual's over and over trying to find out if I am overlooking something. Thank you again for reading and any advice the could help resolve this issue. Please Help!!!

Edit: it is only on the inputs of the tdif detials: RX is showing random information. The output always shows normal with the correct FS and word length at 24 bit.

Thanks,
CB Radio
Hello @CB Radio I know that this post goes back a way and was wondering if you managed to iron out the issue(s) that you were having with TDIF. Thank you. Peter

Hello @Peter Batah, I was able to iron this issue out by upgrading to high quality TDIF cables and having the TDIF card on my recorder serviced. Everything is working correctly and smoothly! Thank you for your inquiry. Thanks CB Radio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Batah
Glad to hear that everything worked out. Enjoy!

Reactions: CB Radio
As I can configure the TDIF outputs (24) to an interface that I bought (Cymatic Audio Pro uTrack 24), you have to do the setup from the 4800 or the interface Thanks

Do you mean a setup other than proper "Routing"

Hmm. All I could say as far as that goes then is this: I too am using an external HDD recorder. In my case that would be the Soundscape ReD32 via TDIF. It is functioning as it should with no additional configuration at my DM-3200 other than the remote layer and the proper routing. This, of course, varies according to the DAW in use. I hope that I was of some help.

Reactions: Marcos Meruvia
I do not have to make any adjustments as it is done for the firewire card IF / FW mkll of Tascam, is only to connect the cables of the TDIF outputs to the interface and is ready to record is this way

I too have the Fire wire expansion card installed. I'm sure that you are already know that you will get 24 channels in/out via TDIF to your Cymatic Audio Pro uTrack . I am not certain that you can use all 32 channels of your Fire wire card alongside that though. Perhaps someone else would be more qualified or more familiar with your device to answer that question.

Once your TDIF cables are connected then you should be able to verify that your DM and DAW are communicating with each other. I know that there is a menu where you can verify this at the DM. Unfortunately, I am not in front of my unit at the moment.

By the way, in my case (my DAW), I had to use TDIF 1 as my clock source.

Thanks for your help I will try to follow your impressions and if it does not, I will be able to send you as the configuration is left

My card is the IF / FW DM mkll but I can not configure it even though it drops the drivers and firmware for Mac so choose the interface Cymatic Audio uTrack 24 once more your personal guide on the recording system.

I can't help you with the Mac part of this equation as I am running on a PC here. Once I startup the DM followed by my DAW I can go into ALT\DIGITAL\FORMAT to see the details of all three TDIF ports.

I can also use my IF/FW DM mkII if I wish. I do so with Cubase 5.x and have not experienced the drops that you mentioned in your last post. This could very well be a Mac / OS version issue.

routing motu 2408 to tascam dm 3200 diagram setup help Please

New threads

Members online