shredd

Soundaholic
From
7 miles west of the Middle Of Nowhere
Website
www.soundclick.com
Gear owned
2488's, DP-32 & -008(ex)
Had this sitting "in the can" for over a YEAR - only because the song relies heavily on a pretty, very breath-y female vocal...and I don't know any women who'll even return my phone calls, let alone SING.:oops:

I tried EVERYthing: plug-ins; software chorals; synth tones...you name it. But it HAS to be sung, by a human voice. Couldn't find anything that didn't sound like Bantha poo-doo...so the song sat.

Then - last weekend, I came up with this twisted notion of running a vocal mic through a synth input...used it to heavily process my voice, changing the tone, register, etc...and it came out not so bad. So I threw together a mix, and posted.

It's the theme music from a very stylish suspense/thriller cult movie from the 80's called "Body Double".
Here's the YouTube (just some movie stills), and my SoundClick posting.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Nice job. I don''t know the original but this is a great theme - touches of Vangelis in there :)
Great tip re. the vocals - if you hadn't said I would never have guessed it was you.
I can empathise with trying to get a singer; Bob Newhart could have done a great sketch "... and you want me to sing what?...."
Interesting that Youtube's suggested videos are for real telescopes - doh!

Reactions: shredd
Hey there - nostalgia! Cool treatment! Using vocals thru a synth’s external in is a cool and unpredictable approach and it’s a highlight of the arrangement for sure.

FYI: I noticed in your YouTube video description that you have a typo that breaks the SoundCloud link.

Nice job. I don''t know the original but this is a great theme - touches of Vangelis in there :)
HERE's a link to the original.
It's a terrific movie - one of those very stylish 80's suspense/thrillers. And the music fits it perfectly - done by a guy named Pino Donaggio.
I should also mention that it's a Brian DePalma movie, so it might be a bit twisted for some. He was sort of the Quentin Tarantino of his time...
Great tip re. the vocals - if you hadn't said I would never have guessed it was you.
Yeah...I'm actually pretty well into the baritone range...so there was no WAY I could do this vocal bit...until I came up with this synth-treament...
Interesting that Youtube's suggested videos are for real telescopes - doh!
Can't say I'm surprised...YTube is striving to become a trashy, low-rent garbage-quality version of TikTok (rather than a trove of amazing content creators like the Lexington Lab Band or Rick Beato)...o_O

PS - thanks for the heads-up about the messed-up link at YTube, @mixerizer . Fixed.:cool:

Last edited:
Ahhh, the satisfying sound of analog synths! Sounds great Shredd :)

shredd, I'll just echo what everyone else has written. Well done!

Reactions: shredd and -mjk-
Very nice indeed! Fantastic synth sounds and arrangement - great job overall!

Reactions: -mjk- and shredd

New threads

Members online

No members online now.