The difference between the sound we hear on headphones and sounds on a regular smart phone

Joanilson Rodrigues

From
Brazil
Gear owned
DP 32 SD
The difference between the sound we hear on headphones and sounds on a regular smart phone, for example, is huge.

The bass sound, for example, looks great on headphones, but disappears on smartphone speakers.

When I hear, for example an Amy Winehouse song, I can perfectly hear all the frequencies including those of the double bass in a common headset smat without headphones.

I bought the David Wills course and it helped me a lot in the general functions in the DP32 Sd I have, but I really have preferred to turn off all the effects and dynamics to record them because they sound more natural and perfection than with the effects.

This same experience I had in studios where the songs sounded very well in their boxes, but after the CD was printed, I would ask: where are those wonderful basses, where are these and those frequencies? They just disappeared. It's very sad, but that's my big problem today with the equipment. Maybe it's the Mastering features that I have not yet used that will correct this discrepancy.

Personally, I would never mix to accommodate phone speakers. Of course the bass disappears in a speaker that tiny. Ideally one mixes to studio monitors. It can also be done to headphones. To check my mixes I listen on several different players ... car stereo, home stereo, headphones, ear buds. Internal computer speakers and internal smart phones don't get any consideration.

Even using headphones the sound on portable players can be less than perfect, since the audio files are often in a compressed format.

Reactions: Joanilson Rodrigues
Yes. I totally agree with you. What I want to say is that the best recordings of the world for me are those that you can hear all the instruments from a flute to a tuba, drumstick and double bass, even if it's a very simple portable device. The challenge in recording is to get good sound quality even on simpler devices. Owning a Tascam DP 32 SD is a bit disappointing because it has been very strenuous the way to get up to this quality. Perhaps for more experienced producers it will be easier. I do not know. But overall, I've always recorded using software like Sonar / Cakewalk and editing on Sound forge. I think the way to a high quality of recording is easier and intuitive than with the Tascam. Please understand that I do not intend to give up. This post is just an outburst.

Hi,

I think it's a mastering problem.
I agree that the best track sounds good everywhere.

The mastering tools are very good on the DP-32, have fun with the compression and the EQ, try different things, hear them in your car, on your phone,etc...

Reactions: Joanilson Rodrigues

New threads

Members online

No members online now.