They Really Don’t Make Music Like They Used To

David, music used to be refreshment, and was therefore, refreshing. Music has become an expression of anger, and so it's basically sonically yelling.

Reactions: David Porter
Thanks David, I had to double-check the article date as I thought this was a thing of the past, but obviously not! This sentence stood out for me:-
"When compact discs were introduced in the 1980s, one selling point was that they were capable of a greater dynamic range than vinyl records — yet the average pop recording today has a smaller dynamic range than records made during the analog era."

I find the observation of Bob Ludwig very revealing: "this hasn’t stopped mixing engineers from ladling on the loudness, reducing the dynamic range of the music even as the streaming normalization defeats their purpose."

So even if mastering engineers see the issue with loudness normalization with streaming services (loudness war material having even less impact than more dynamic material since it gets turned down) - the issue continues with recording and mixing engineers compressing the life out of individual channels, buses and stems, so that nothing can get fixed in the mastering process.

The trend of recording engineers and mixing engineers compressing dynamic range is directly connected with the fact that people aren't listening on the radio, but rather directly on a digital media player. Radio stations incorporate dynamic processing throughout the broadcast day to manage background noise from listening in a car during morning or afternoon "drive time." Even classical stations like WCRB Boston, limit dynamic range during those hours. People listening on earbuds are often in noisy environments too, such as at work, riding a bus, jogging, etc. They don't get the effect of a radio station's loudness processing (Texar Audio Prisms, Optimods, etc.) in those environments because of listening to the player directly. Thus, engineers who grew up in the digital era mix hot for those playback devices. Old guys like me "mix for radio." Having a strong broadcast engineering background really did help my producing career back then. These days though, probably not so much.

Mainstream crap is usually mixed/mastered loud. However, there are plenty of current bands that care about audio and produce music with plenty of dynamic range.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.