TMC software continues to puzzle

Machine = Your computer. Speed of machine should have zero bearing on the TMC/USB MIDI connection. You have some sort of USB conflict going on in your PC if you can't connect to the TMC application with no other programs loaded (DAW included). Make sure you are using a USB 2.0 port on your PC not a 3.0 port.

Just to recap. The PC that didn't work on this DM DID WORK on my other DM. As did the cable. Using the same port on the PC.

My standard Laptop also failed on this DM, but worked on the Good one.

Yet, my Nextbook works on both DMs every time, without fail. So, it is really hard to blame the PC.

Admittedly, I have not stepped thru the code with a debugger. If you have a copy of the code and can see they used event timers or a realtime clock for the timeout, then I will look no further. But a timeout loop is the only good explanation I have for this circumstance.

Unfortunately there's no code available to review. The theory that the app is not reliable on fast machines is something that hasn't been reported here before. The app has its quirks (like having to be loaded first when using it in parallel with a DAW) but otherwise has been working reliably for the masses for over a decade. The majority of issues reported are related to bad USB cables, USB device conflicts, not using a USB 2.0 port or the USB MIDI ports not being activated in the DM's MIDI setup menu.

You haven't told us what version of Windows you are using. Are you using the same version on all of your machines? It would also be helpful to provide any error verbiage or screen shots of the app's error messages.

If I'm following all of your test scenarios correctly, it sounds like the issues are with the Windows machines that are failing to connect. I would make sure you open the TMC app with Administrator rights in case there is something odd going on with permissions. Also check your Windows Device Manager and make sure there aren't any USB device conflicts. Lastly there is a procedure I documented somewhere on the forum that shows hidden old & duplicate device installations in the Windows device manager which sometimes causes conflicts. Deleting the hidden duplicate installations could fix your problem. Other than that, I’m at a loss but still maintain strongly that its not the application causing your issue.

Procedure to show hidden devices in Windows Device Manager
  1. Click Start>Run.
  2. Type cmd.exe in the textbox and click OK.
  3. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and hit ENTER.
  4. Type cd\windows\system32 and hit ENTER.
  5. Type start devmgmt.msc and hit ENTER.
  6. When the device manager opens, click the View menu.
  7. Click Show Hidden Devices.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.