TMD-1000 replacement LCD display

Limbomute

Gear owned
TM-D8000 DR-05
hi there all,
Any electronics minded folk on here?
I've just been given a tascam TMD-1000 by a friend as it has the TDIF port and could act as an input/output to and from my TMD-8000. The problem is that the LCD display is broken. I really want to replace it, as it seems such a waste to just strip it down for parts. I know nothing about LCD screens, yet searching for an exact replacement here in the uk has resulted in a total dead end. Does anyone know of a way to replace it with a different LCD screen. I've noticed that that there are plenty of 16 pin 2x24 LCD screens around, but 14 pin ones are not available in the uk. Is there a way to convert a 16 pin down to a 14 pin plug. I'm at a complete brick wall with this thing.
Cheers, Dale

Dale, I had the LCD screen poop out in one of my TM-D1000s. I bought a cheap junker from ebay for parts. I paid close attention to what was involved in getting the replacement LCD out of the donor unit, and applied that when I took apart the good unit and installed it. As you know, at that point, it's a simple plug in. And then there's the reassembly. I have 2 hands. I needed 5. But I did get it back together. I think buying a parts donor is the best, and likely the only way to go. Good luck. Lefty7

Thanks for the suggestion Lefty7,
I decided that there were some great components to strip out, so I went down that route instead. I think Tascam should be ashamed of itself for the treatment of the people who bought into the TMD series.
Capitalism throwing its toys out of the pram I recon.
I've now gotten a couple of Yamaha 02R's installed, and I'm having a blast with em. I've decided to sell my TMD 8000 as a spares desk for anyone who will eventually need spare parts. Heart wrenching to see such an iconic desk like the 8000 just dropped from the scene like that. Boo Tascam.!

Yes, I'd have to echo some of your sentiment. In the current corporate environment, that's the way it is. I've come to a similar realization regarding my TM-D1000s, (that I know intimately, and have used for many years). It appears that their functional lifespan is finite, and, regardless of how they've been used and cared for, the window may be closing. I just purchased a lovely D1000 that saw very limited use, only to find out that the DATA ENTRY button is non-functional (see thread). Have owned maybe 6 of these, and I never saw that issue before. And getting any relevant info on this or any other obsolete product from Tascam is indeed an exercise in futility. Very disappointing. Only way to troll for any useful info at all is here on this forum. Kudos to the moderators. So I'm taking my time, contemplating my next mixer buy.

As long as we're gently venting opinions: a few years ago I made all the pre-arrangements, and sent a low-hours DA38, the Tascam workhorse DAT, to Tascam Factory Service for complete refurbish. The total price was +4x what they were ebaying for, but I thought it would set me up for awhile. I got it back, and it mangled brand new tapes. Sent it back. They said they 'checked it over and made some minor adjustments', and sent it back to me. It mangled new tapes, and when it didn't, the PB condition light came on and stayed on, and it would not run smoothly in ABS time. I consulted them, and - now that they had my $ and had discharged their obligation of warrantying their work - they told me it was because I was "probably using bad tape." TFS? Never again. Live and learn.

Having said all of the above, no one, going back into the previous millennium to the days of the A3340 and A3340S r-t-rs, has been a bigger fan of some of the equipment TASCAM put into my hands for a reasonable price. But when they move on, they want the consumer to move on with them, or be lost in the shuffle. It's the corporate way...

So whatever you do, have some fun. ~Lefty7

New threads

Members online

No members online now.