Too noisy!

bodegg

Gear owned
dp32sd
Hello everyone. I've just bought a dp32sd (owned a 414 many years ago) and I've already hit a bit of a snag. I want to record several guitar parts using different effects. I've got my guitar plugged into a POD XT effects unit and I'm coming out of that into input A. The problem is that I've got a high gain effect and the buzz is almost overwhelming the guitar sound. On playback it's quite unbearable. On lower gain effects obviously the noise is reduced but I can't live with this. I'm sure I'm doing something basically wrong so any hints or tips gratefully accepted.
cheers

Did you try the H input switched in guitar mode, not line.
It should be better, with the right impedance.

Hi. I will have a go at that later but if that cures it what if I want to record several simultaneous guitars? Lots to learn here but it's quite exciting!
cheers

For several guitars, you will have to use Direct Boxes or mics in front of the amps.
A cool direct box for a cool price : the Hugue and Kettner Redbox.

Guitar is not the easiest instrument to record, you 'll have to try many things before finding the best way.

Last edited:
Reactions: mariusvideo
Advice:
For a huge electric and satured guitar sound, the secret is doubling your tarck.
By doubling i mean, record a second "same" track, not copy/past your track to have two of it.
Copy/past your track for doubling, will just push the volume up without getting the huge fat sound.
And causes phases problems.

For a nice HUGE result, try this:
1 - Rec a first track with a mic in front of your amp.
2 - Rec a second (same as the first) track with a direct box.
3 - Rec a third (same) track into the H input.
4 - have fun with the pan, as exemple: Track 1 fully left, Track 2 fully right and Track 3 centered.
5 - Enjoy your HUGE FAT SOUND !!!!!!! :twisted:

Last edited:
I did find where the noise was coming from, firstly I found a dodgy guitar lead which seemed to work perfectly it just generated more noise than usual. Secondly and most importantly I feel, was the fact that when I first started using the machine I was constantly watching the display to see what was happening and to keep an eye on the timings which meant I was standing directly in front of it or even leaning over it. I found that this created huge amounts of buzz via the guitar pickups, simply standing back reduced the noise significantly. Same with a cheap microphone I was using, I got some white noise in the background as I leaned in to start/stop recording. I've got the remote foot switch now so everythings cool!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.