Uh Oh! SD Card issue

Bravohorn1

Gear owned
DP 24SD
Greetings,
I have an issue regarding a recent event I recorded w DP24sd. Through card was an approved Scan Disk 32 gb that I preformed a full format on prior to use. I recorded approximately 3 hours of a middle school orchestra competition. I initially used just an MXL condenser mic positioned high behind the conductor. I used input A to 1, 2 and 3 tracks for first 15 minutes. I then added two more Sterling mic's. One to the right, one to the left of the student orchestra aimed in their direction. Their wasn't enough time to create, load and assign for each school band, so I just monitored through headphones, and recorded the entire am line up.

All appeared well with the DP24's performance. The meters were active, record was on, and the tracks we're displaying sound patterns . I asked for a little more time between bands, got permission, and 2nd half of day I loaded new SD card started loading, creating and naming separate files for each band all afternoon.

I'm at my studio now reviewing results, and first SD card Audio Depot shows 7 tracks, five of which are the same size, and 6 and 7 a bit larger of data, but theirs only 13 minutes of music. I exported to view file and its still showing one song 3gb. There is however the music file shows zz files for the recordings in question. I need these wave files, can I import zz wave files into daw? What did I do wrong? The 2nd half of event with new SD card, and procedural changes came out perfect. Opinions, and options and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 15556567550787581478888072777248.jpg
    15556567550787581478888072777248.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 15556568262695555198658615196437.jpg
    15556568262695555198658615196437.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 15556568774786635972401243483857.jpg
    15556568774786635972401243483857.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 15556569110884036218517882218219.jpg
    15556569110884036218517882218219.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 6
Keep clear of those zz files. Export everything into the Audio Depot.

The Big Question: With such a simple recording, what are going to do to it that requires a DAW?

I'm not following what you're saying. If you recorded 3 tracks to start with, then later started recording another 2 tracks, did you actually export those 5 tracks? Was the AudioDepot folder empty before you started... it's up to you to keep the folder tidy, the machine doesn't care what files are in there. The screenshot I wanted to see is the AudioDepot contents! If you haven't exported anything yet, then as Mj says, do that.
Btw, well done on getting through it... and a useful lesson re. preparing the empty songs first. It's more work up front, but much easier to process individual songs than a huge single lump.

Reactions: -mjk-
good morning, and thank you for your quick response. I wasn't using the daughter record just when I got home last night and couldn't find the music on the SD card I just export it into my dog by the house to see you know if I could find a man that wa

I will go into more detail later. I'm at the University, and doin well. Is it okay to record to stereo tracks? And can you do both mono and stereo tracks at the same time. Just curious. Thanks all

good morning, and thank you for your quick response. I wasn't using the daughter record just when I got home last night and couldn't find the music on the SD card I just export it into my dog by the house to see you know if I could find a man that wa
I'm just hoping this is predictive text gone wrong. If not, I don't know what to say :)
Is it okay to record to stereo tracks? And can you do both mono and stereo tracks at the same time.
Yes you can use any combination. When you export a stereo track, the left & right sides will appear as separate items so you'll get 2 files.

@Phil Tipping he was voice typing in the car. "daughter record" = DAW to record. "dog" = DAW.

@Bravohorn1 you asked if it is alright to record on stereo tracks, at the same time as mono tracks. Is your understanding of the machine really that incomplete?

Last edited:
Man I apologize everyone. When I'm trying to multitask, which of course I obviously can't do very well, I use voice to text for communication. I'm not sure why, but for some reason the tool doesn't translate my conversation well in some forums. From now on I will not use it, or if I do I will carefully review before hitting post, or send. I do apologize. What was transmitted was undeniably strange.

MJK,
Yes your correct. I've only been able to basic recording with the DP24. I started motorhoming shortly after receiving my unit, and a laptop with a good daw is what I've been engaging. In fact last Saturday night was my first use if the Tascam since before xmas, and I'd only just got it the month before.
So, if you can cease laughing for a moment, I have another question about editing. During the Olympia School district orchestra competition 27 middle School bandd performed 3 scores each. I recorded these scores, but didn't pause between each score, because the event chairman wanted some crowd reaction, and some other sounds, but theres way to much distance between each score, and I need to shorten it. Do I just mark these sections and cut, delete or silence? Thanks, from s true greenhorn

If it was me, I think I'd mix down the whole lot, including the long gaps, export it as one long track, then use something else to chop it into sections. Then master those chunks to fade out the applause. (Could even put them back into the DP as separate tracks and remaster it there). You need really to wind up with a separate recording of each score, I think.
No doubt someone will tell us how to do the whole thing on the machine.

@Bravohorn1 I'll tell you how, but after this I'm really going to have to charge you for consulting.

Here is the key to doing this:

The unit mixes between In and Out points.

Mark the first section's In/Out points. Mixdown and Master as required. Copy mixdown file to the computer. Repeat for subsequent sections.

Mixing allows you to add fades, and even reverb to smooth things out.

Reactions: Bravohorn1
Hey Mjk,
I really am being challenged by the DP24's technical functions. I've been unable to watch, or read a detailed process for mixdown and mastering. The ones available seen to assume the viewer has some experience. I've only recently gotten the concept of effects and send. The EQ, lows, highs, mids and frequencies are an even greater challenge. As far as a fee based consult is concerned I would not be opposed to that, but rich I am not. I just want to learn how to complete a project. I've got several dozen songs parked with artists patiently waiting. I've got the recording process down. Loading, creating assigning, effects, exporting to DAW. I've yet to import any project back to the 24, I've not mixed down, or mastered one single project, haven't even punched in yet either. I need to do something, and if compensation is required then so be it.

Me too. The manual is useless. Have a look on YouTube where there is a series of excellent guides to everything. The guy who put them there has also produced a book, which I bought. Its quite pricey but worth every penny - ive used it constantly. It covers everything you might ever need to know and is written so normal mortals can follow it. I got the DP24 last year and couldn't even get started till i watched the guides. It's not an intuitive machine.
PS, I have no connection with the author, but I think he appears on here sometimes.

Bravo, it was a bad joke, and I hope I haven't insulted you. I apologize. I'm a live streamer, and I have the capability of showing the mixdown and mastering process in detail; I just didn't think it was anything that would be useful. I've done a couple live streams demonstrating tracks that I've cut on the DP-32.

The problem of course is, there is the technical procedure for mixing and mastering, and then there's the art of mixing and mastering, and they're not the same. I can show you that moving the faders will create a mix. I cannot show you how to use your ears and determine a good mix from a bad mix.

Edit: Just watch this:

Last edited:
For those who may be unaware, If you look at the four "Stickies" found at the top of the first page of this DP24/32 forum, you will see that Phil Tipping's free video series is one of those stickies.

Everything a new user will ever need to know can be found in Phil's extremely well done and easy to follow videos. Start with number one and work your way through them. Make a donation to Phil if the videos are useful to you, if you're so inclined. He put a lot of thought and hard work into those videos.

ps Phil is very active on this forum. He's a treasure chest of information about the DP-24/32.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bravohorn1
Thanks Mark,
I have watched Phil's videos, but I have the privilege of watching, and caring for my Grandbabies, and Everytime I try to put to practice something I've watched I get distracted, but happily distracted. I also made a donation to Phil early on, and I just purchased his step by step guide today. Thanks

Hello everyone,
and I'm back to the SD card issue from the first day of the band competition. As you can see the sing list has four entries. In the display the first three were unused. The last one with just Song0002 shows 3gb of data. Trying to show pics in order from dp24 to music file. The available music begins fine but abruptly just cuts at about 0:15:45. All that day lineup was recorded on 1 track with pause/stop used a few times. For 2nd day I pre-loaded saved template, created new song files for each band, and the end product was perfect.

When I push stop, and then ff it goes to the end of the tracks supposedly recorded at 2:50: and a few seconds.

I connect SD card to PC, and audio depot shows 7 tracks, but all are of equal size.

I open music file-song002- and it list 54 wave files with time stamps accurately correlating with that days band(s) line up.

I know it's something "I" did incorrectly that caused this issue, but man if this can be salvaged I'd be grateful.

I can't thank everyone enough

Attachments

• IMG_20190422_121333.jpg
    IMG_20190422_121333.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20190422_122124.jpg
    IMG_20190422_122124.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190422_122333.jpg
    IMG_20190422_122333.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 10
I know this is becoming a source of irritation for some, but I found 5 tracks of the first day of recordings. Audio Depot has 5 tracks listed with a .Wav.asd file attached to each wave files. The five tracks represent the microphones used bc each file is the exact same size. The music folder is showing my new project template file, and four song files with different sizes. I copied and pasted the contents of the music file into a new folder i created in documents for safety, and each individual track in AD into my DAW. I want to export back all I find to a dedicated SDCard in the DP unit, but the wav.asd file is a new wrench thrown in to this clusternut of an issue.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.