Updating Firmware

Discussion in '2488 and DP-24/32 Digital Portastudios' started by Puckett, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Puckett

Puckett New Member

Gear:
    DP 24
    Is it possible to use my Android phone to update the firmware on my DP-24?
  2. Phil Tipping

Phil Tipping Well-Known Member

West Wales, UK
    Gear:
    dp-32sd, vl-s5, 202 mkIII
    Welcome to the forum puckett. To update the firmware, you need to copy a file from Tascam's website to the sd-card, then turn on the machine in a special way. You can copy the file using any method you like, via a USB link or by physically plugging the sd-card into any device which can write to it. So if your Android phone has either of these features, then yes.
  3. Puckett

Puckett New Member

Gear:
    DP 24
    Thanks Phil! I was planning to use a USB cable to link my phone directly to the DP-24
  4. Phil Tipping

Phil Tipping Well-Known Member

West Wales, UK
    Gear:
    dp-32sd, vl-s5, 202 mkIII
    I can't guarantee it will work - you'll just have to try it. If the phone detects the dp24's card as an external storage device - like a memory stick - then you're in with a chance. Instructions for upgrading are on Tascam's website... or in my step-by-step guide - sorry, unashamed plug ;) ... along with the firmware itself, so it will tell you where to copy the file. Once you've done this, make sure you un-mount the card from Android before disabling the link from the dp24 end. Good luck.
  5. -mjk-

-mjk- Well-Known Member

Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
    Gear:
    DP-32, | 2A Mixer, A3440
    Using an OTG connector should work. But, the firmware file is zipped, so you'll need to unzip it first.
  6. Puckett

Puckett New Member

Gear:
    DP 24
    It was pretty hard to find the correct cable locally but it did work! Thanks Phil and -mjk- for the help
    -mjk- and Phil Tipping like this.