Upgrading your X-48 or X-48mkII

Mimer

Gear owned
DM4800
Hi
I'm kind of new to the forum though I've used it for years now when I needed answers.
Now it's time for payback.

I'm in the process of upgrading my X-48 and I would like to share my experiences with you.
Since the X-48/X-48mkII (from now on X-48) is actual a Windows XP computer I have been wondering if I could upgrade it as so.
I have a background as IT-engineer and a musician in my spare time and want to get the best out of my equipment.

The plan:
Add better airflow to the X-48
Lower the noise level of the X-48
Add larger and faster HDD (hard disk driver) to the X-48
Add more and faster RAM (memory) to the X-48
Add faster CPU to the X-48

Each step will be explained in this thread and you are welcome with ideas and comments.

Last edited:
Better airflow and lower noise level

First thing I did was the PSU (Power Supply Unit).
I removed the stock fan and replaced it with a low noise Papst fan. Be sure to place the fan so to air flows out of the cabinet.
To insure cooling of the PSU I mounted a second low noise Papst fan on the backside of the PSU inside the cabinet as well and connected it to one of the free Molex connecters. Be sure to place the fan so to air flows in to the PSU.
Now I got a lower noise level from the PSU and as good airflow if not better.

The second thing I did was the CPU cooling.
I removed the stock fan and replaced it with a low noise Papst fan.
Then I mounted a small low noise Papst fan on the side of the heatsink to lead the air away and out of the cabinet.
Now I got a lower noise level from the CPU cooling and as good airflow if not better.

It's a good idea to check the CPU temperature before you replace the CPU fan and after you have mounted another fan, the ensure, that the cooling is as good as it was before.
To test that you can go into the BIOS of the X-48 and see the temperature of the CPU in the menu "PC health..."

I don't buy Papst fans anymore. They are to expensive. But I had some laying around from some old computers. Nowadays I use fans from Artic. Just as good as Papst but at a lower price.

Next time:
Add larger and faster HDD (hard disk driver) to the X-48

Last edited:
The X48 upgrades you plan are probably quite good. I would upgrade any part that the internal OS is using to a SSD. So the unit will be way more responsive. As is the unit is guaranteerd to work well with 48 channels. And external disks should work well. An internal SSD to record to should make data acces up to 4 times faster. Meaning more plugins can be used.

Everything in the music industry is moving towards lan boxes. But these units are still far far away (and I mean a unified standard, wich will probably come from an open source development as current manufacturers are ready to battle it out). The X48 will be a current machine for many years to come. Just like my Alesis HD24 still is.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.