Us-16x08 glitches and latency

Matt Steady

Gear owned
us-16x08
Hi guys!

This is a fab bit of kit ... when it works! However I'm not finding it usable at the moment due to 2 problems.

(1) Latency - rather than repeat the problem, I've added to an existing thread... http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/us-16x08-intermittent-latency-issues.5704/

(2) Intermittently I get a ticking/scratching sound. It appears that most of the time this doesn't actually get recorded and is purely on playback, but sometimes a tick IS recorded. This to be honest makes the interface almost unusable for recording either myself solo for recording projects, but totally unusable for recording my band.

I'm running Ableton 10 on Windows 10 (fully patched) with the latest Tascam ASIO drivers.
This problem replicates on both my main studio PC and also my gig laptop, so I don't think it's the PC hardware.
Tascam have replaced the main board in the unit and it is still happening. The unit passed their burnin testing.
It is not CPU related (I've seen it happen on 2 tracks, no plugins and <10% on the CPU meter).
I have fast SSD both on the PC and the laptop.
On the laptop it is the only USB device. On the PC it isn't, but I have replicated it with everything else unplugged except mouse and keyboard. It isn't going through a hub - it's going straight into one of the main ports.
I've made sure that CPU/disc etc. don't have any power saving on.

Gut feeling is both these issues are driver related, but obviously there's not really any way of me being able to prove this. I'd LOVE to find out it is me being an idiot - because then at least I could get this fixed :) So feel free to ask any obvious/stupid questions.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm meant to be recording the band in 2 weeks time and I'm really not sure what to do...

Cheers,
Matt

its a crap interface. it has a lot of troubles with drivers. with new update it even started to glitch. i also have latency drift etc, output for monitor is hissing with xlr balanced cables etc. when you arm more than 2 chanels for input latency also not stable in ableton. A lot of troubles. it was checked via tascam and unit was not damaged, so its their drivers and overall build quality. win 10, mac os etc. everywhere this piece of shit have troubles. And its on lastest i7 with 32 gigs of ram or with lastest macbook pro....so i guess its time ti give up after 1 year of struggle and to go for proper interface instead of this crap.

I installed the ASIO4ALL drivers this week and it's been running perfectly ever since. Good bit kit ... shame about the drivers! But there is a solution fortunately

did you uninstalled original tascam drivers before installing asio4all? please let us know the process. as im already frustrated about this crappy tascam drivers

Nope just installed them over the top. On my laptop I uninstalled them, but then the ASIO4ALL drivers couldn't connect up so I reinstalled them again.

will give it a last try. if this wont work then will have to throw it away :) already started to focus my thoughts to focusrite brand.

no latency drifts? all activated simulaneuosly trs inputs doesnt affect latency? buffer size 128 or 256 with your setup?

Hi,
I bought this sound card for less than a year and i have the same issues. I use wondows 10 and I have a powerful computer so the problem doesn't came from that. I haven't huge latency but the sound is ticking all the time. If I quickly start my computer, I can enjoy a few minutes of sound without ticking and when I open internet or ableton it immediately begun to ticking. In the task Manager none of the components are saturated.
I have an Intel core I7-4600M CP, 8Go of RAM (7,81Go usable) and 2 GPU: an Intel HD graphics 4600 and NVIDIA Quadro 610M.
I try to install the asio4all driver does it work for all of you if yes how do you set it ?

Probably your ethernet, try to disable it in device manager and see if the issue goes away.

If I use wifi, can the problem still be with the ethernet?
I try to disable it but i don't see it in the device manager.

Thank you.
I'll try to solve the problem with the BIOS and I'll tell you if it works.

Hi, I'm new to this and I just purchased a brand new Tascam us-16x08 to record the band in multi-track and personal music making. Right away it didn't work well... my laptop freeze, cpu goes to 100% and I can't even listen to a full song on windows media player without freezing, the laptop goes back to normal after turning off the interface. I called Tascam and they said my laptop is the problem and that the interface works well with windows 10. So I tried an older laptop... and there is no problem beside the fact that it's too slow, but no glitch and smooth. I then tried my wifes laptop witch is similar to mine and same... works perfectly. So I would like to compare the computer's you guys have to see if we can find a common denominator and help me or us with next laptop purchase.

My laptop is a Lenovo T420 with a i5 2520m 2.5 ghz processor, 8g ram and 1T ssd drive and Windows 10 pro. I have tried a different ssd and reinstalled windows home from scratch... still same problem. I use Ableton 10 and WHEN IT WORKS there is no lag or delay at all, very very smooth. I have tried all different USB port and tried it with only the interface attach. Still no go.

2nd laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 670 with an i3 2.27 ghz M350 processor, 4g ram and 500gb ssd and windows 10 home. It works flawlessly, no freezing in windows, I can leave it on and everything works as it should but lag on Ableton due to lack of performance and ram, but can manage with the buffer size set at 128 or higher.

3rd laptop: Lenovo yoga 12 with a i5 5200u 2.2 ghz processor, 4g ram, 500g hdd and windows 10 home. I did not try Ableton on this one, but the sound card is flawless with all the music software and does not glitch, raise the CPU to 100% or freeze, so that's already good. I've been able to jam over some track with no problem witch I can't even do with my T420.

So it seams to me that my best performing laptop is the only one having problem with this interface, so performance is not the issue. 2 are Lenovo and the newest one work well, so it's not a brand name thing either. The Toshiba is the oldest laptop with first generation i3, and my wife's 5th generation i5 and they both work, so the generation of CPU doesn't seam to have anything to do with it either since Thep i7 is a 4th generation and has same problem as my 2nd generation i5. That same laptop worked well with my Behringer U-phoria UMC404HD, Mackie 12ch mixer and Rane Serato, so the laptop is not bad. I'm a trouble shooter... so sorry if this is boring but I would really like to pin point the problem here.

My debate is weather upgrading the T420 to a I7 would fix the problem, probably not. Upgrading the Toshiba from a I3 to an I7 with more ram might make it run smooter. If I buy a new laptop, I'm debating between a PC or a Mac.

Can you post the laptop you have problems with so we can compare? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,
I gave my configuration earlier in the messages.
I have the same problem and I try to use my us16x08 on a mac mini which is powerless than my labtop and it works perfectly.
So, following Eti Lau's advice, I installed a latency monitor that analyzes your computer and gives you tips on how to better optimize your audio without changing any of its components.
https://www.resplendence.com/main

Did you checked with latency monitor? See post my post here #13

September 2021

Just received one 16x08

I recorded 8min using all inputs and pairs in one session in Studio One at 16ms latency. No glitches whatsoever.

System:

RM1000i PSU
X570E MOBO
5900X CPU
64GB RAM
3090 GPU

A myriad, over 30 USB devices connected in my system between audio controllers, game controllers, all sort of stuff going through a Manhattan MondoHub and all my ports on the back of the MOBO.

I'm going through a power conditioner.

In this image you can see the waveforms. Everything you see there is either a timecode signal or open mics recording my keyboard or me tapping them, the rest is absolute silence (unused channels)

As you can see there are no system / driver related glitches.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C5Ut_upf2jXC0_U-RRIKZuU_Lj0aExRl/view?usp=sharing

The Tascam 2x2 usb interface sounds like a hissy pot of boiling potatoes and clicks intermittency and has awful latency problems.
What Can I do about this?
Does Tascam do repairs or replacements?
It has done this from day one but at first I thought it could be other problems.
It is the Tascam. I am 100% sure.

As for Windows OS latency issue and Tascam driver4, did you tried to enable "Listen to this device"

listen.png

New threads

Members online

No members online now.