US-16x08 not workin after Windows 10 update

David Gamble

Gear owned
US-16x08
I have been using this device for a couple of years now and after a recent Window 10 update the ASIO drivwer does not work with any of my DAWs. I have unistalled, reinstalled, did everything I could think of. Call Tascam tech help and the tech was stumped. Everything looks right, but no sound playback or recording from Sonar Professional, Sound Forge, or any other audio app. Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Hi David,

This might sound wrong but I'm kind of glad you have the same problem. I've been working with it for years without problems and since a Windows 10 update it doesn't work with any of my DAWs. I've tried everything, reinstalling drivers, DAWs, whatever...

It doesn't work. I hope TASCAM will give us an answer.

Last edited:
Since everything looks like it should work, but it doesnt, I am starting to think there is a driver conflict, or something else in Windows causing the problem. I am going to wipe my C drive, reinstall Windows 10 and see what happens. A lot of work! I have tons of programs that will need to be reinstalled as well. I will let you know if it works.

I wiped my system drive, installed Windows 7 and all of its updates, which I had before I updated to 10, installed the US 16x08 drivers, installed Sonar Professional and it works. I will have to see what happens when I start adding plugins and such. I probably will stick with 7 for a while. There are things I never liked about Win 10.

Glad that worked for you David. Thanks for the update!
I have sent an email to Tascam support in the hope that they can fix it.

Last edited:
I just installed Windows 10 from 7 with all of its updates and the US16x08 is working as it should. So if you can do a clean install of 10 or 7 then 10, it should work. I would have stuck with 7, there are a lot of things a like about it over 10, but MS will quit supporting it in 2020.

That's great David! I'll see if it works for me now and otherwise give reinstalling a try. I sent Tascam an email two weeks ago but haven't received a reply yet...

Wow! Thanks a lot cripple9! Can't believe it was that simple. Allowing microphone access for the apps did the trick for me.

Pro Tools finally works again with the US-16x08.

Reactions: cripple9
I spent hours trying to get the gear to work with my DAW after the W10 update and no response from support, this quick fix worked instantly. Thank you for saving the day! Much respect for the post!

I had issues getting the 16x08 to work with any DAW after the Windows 10 1803 update. It was a Mic permissions problem. Try enabling access to the mic (and maybe camera) in Windows Settings>Privacy>Microphone.

I posted this a while back on the Cakewalk Forum (Last post in thread)-
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Cakewalk-wont-grab-input-from-Tascam-US16x08-m3761002.aspx

Made an account to say thanks (and because I'm a new Tascam owner). After tearing my hair out for the last couple hours my US-20x20 works!

I also had my machine updating windows. And spent a few hours figuring out why all my audiosoftware that relied on the US16x8 didnt work, including cakewalk(bandlab) and adobe audition. I've had problems before but never this curious one, that most apps like vlc or youtube and systemsounds did work. Tried the lot, uninstalling, installing drivers, trying other drivers. What a wast of time. Then started searching and found this simple solution. I also made an account to say thank you!
(and also own a few tascam products now and in the past)

Yes me too! I found this post a couple of days ago after waiting over 2 months while an audio tech looked for a solution. Then I threw that switch in Windows 10 settings and boom, solved.
Thanks very much I started an account here too express my gratitude also.

Hi there. I'm facing a similar problem.
I've noticed that, almost certainly after the last big Win10 update I can't anymore monitor the track's mic input, on my Daw.
In my case using Protools it is always has been done clicking on the small green "I" button ("Input only Monitor") next the red dot "recording" button. Now even if the routing is well done I can't hear anything until I make the adjustment, on the Us-16x08 Setting Panel, which consist of routing the mic input directly to the Master Bus L/R Output. But in this case it is like bypassing all the Computer Busses, in the way the soundcard would work in the "Pre-Amp" mode, that is when the soundcard is Usb unplugged!
The problem is probably a drivers conflict, like someone said above, and the most appropriate way to solve would be to make a clean reinstallation of Win10, thou I'm tring to avoid this for the amount of work and hassle it wolud involve. Is there anything to do, easier and quicker for fix this problem, or maybe I'm mistaking something?

By the way, thanks anyone who would help me!

Last edited:
Same thing Gabrozzo - I got sick of it and have been using Asio4all which works fine in the older version of Nuendo I use but not in some other apps (Mulab)

Hi Guys.. I am also facing problems with windows 10... and my notebook has no drivers for win7

I installed the Settings Panel 3.0 but dont work on assigned with 9 or more inputs (the Tascam site say this)...

I try using the Settings Panel 2.12 and 2.11 but the sound does not work even on windows

You who have managed to solve the problems are using which driver version ?

Well here i am a couple of years later with a similar problem
16x08 worked fine for 3 years with Reaper. all of a sudden when I cut a vocal track it played back with a scratchy sound and way out of time and pitch was all over. Almost like an incorrectly set auto tune. Tried all the easy stuff looking for help!!! Tried recording on different tracks even new project. Different inputs, checked sampling and buffering. Reinstalled drivers. Turned all fx off i'm stumped.

New threads

Members online