US-2400 controls Cue mixes in Studio One

SomeGuy

Gear owned
US-2400, Portastudio 244
Hi all
Yeah, I know I'm a little late to this party, but it took this long before I first got my hands on a US-2400.

It doesn't work so well with Studio One out of the box. Mostly because of the way that Studio One decided to implement its handling of Mackie Control and sends. ..and that's just the short story.

The way that Studio One designed their Cue mixes means that nobody ( and that includes even Presonus' own hardware control surfaces like the Faderport 8/16) can even SEE the cue mixes from hardware.

Nevertheless, I was anxious to get something working, so the US-2400 was what I had to work with.

Criteria:
a) I didn't want to band-aid it and just use pre-fader Auxes.... The Cue mix has some functionality I wanted to keep.
b) Not only did I want to be able to control the Cue mix from the hardware, but I wanted it to be really fast and intuitive. So no deep menus or fumbling around with multi-key combinations. I wanted one-button push to each mix. Once you've had that workflow, you can't go back.

So the plan was: 1 control room mix, and 5 cue mixes. All while keeping Pan and one Aux send (for tracking reverb) usable too. That alone seemed impossible enough, but I wanted to have the mix spill out over the faders, not just show up on rotary encoders. Oh yeah, one more thing... I still want to map my encoders to operate plugins too. Might as well shoot for the moon.

The secret... I think I'll keep for now. :) But I'll give you a hint. It involves changing it from a 192 channel mixer into a 24 channel mixer with 8 "layers" or "scenes" if you will.

It's great for tracking, as that's when I really need fast access to lots of headphone mixes. I go back to a standard External Device map when I'm done with basic tracks and want to do overdubs/mixing.

Here it is in action.

I could use some help turning it into a full-featured external device. There are a few functions I've not yet figured out, and I have to admit, I don't even know if it's possible. Some of this functionality seems to be coming from the DAW and not just the external device map. I think there are enough US-2400's out there that this might be useful to others.

New threads

Members online