Us-2x2: No sound through "mixing driver" playback device

Trav

Gear owned
us-2x2 (ex- owner)
So I have this device running on Windows 10, with all drivers and firmware are up to date as of this posting. I use both speakers and phones to listen to audio, and I am only using the USB connection from my PC as an audio source.

There are 3 playback devices shown in the Windows sound control panel:
"Speakers (Mixing Driver 1 for Us 2x2)",
"Speakers (Mixing Driver 2 for US-2x2)", and
"Speakers (US-2x2)"

Here's the problem: I can get sound if I select "Speakers US 2x2" as the default playback device, but If I select either Mixing drivers 1 or 2, I get nothing. The volume meter in control panel does show activity through these devices. This applies whether I'm using headphones or the line out. I'd really like to get this "mixing driver" device to work so that I can have control over the volume through the PC, rather than having to manually turn knobs to control it. Strange thing is this used to work just fine for the past month since I've owned it, but something triggered this problem and I have no clue what it is.

I double checked all the applicable monitor balance and volume knobs. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the device and all drivers multiple times. Anyone able to provide some insight? Thank you for reading.

Edit: Also worth noting.. it worked flawlessly before with Ableton Live 9, but now I get a lovely "audio device engine is off. please choose an audio device" message. Then when I attempt to choose the US-2x2 I get a "failed to open" message.

Last edited:
I am having the same issues, as of late. even tried working around it via asio4all2.13, and NOTHING. I sure hope someone has some sort of answer to this. @Trav I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the reply Ryan. I ended up exchanging it since the return policy was running out and I never heard back from Tascam tech support. Picked up a Scarlett 2i2 and it's flawless.

Hopefully Tascam reads these forums once in a while. They really need to step their support game up.

I just updated my Windows 7 to the newest V2.0 control panel and lost a lot of functionality. I thought this was related, but it was the sound IN that was the problem. It seems that this update introduces a number of problems. It insists on having the ASIO processing in the signal chain, but if you have nothing running (say using Audacity or Skype), then you get no microphone input. I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the sample rate anymore, like I could from the panel before.

one more problem with 2.0 versions : changing the buffer size e.g. from 128 to 256 samples in the Tascam US2x2 Control Panel does ONLY apply the changes when you change the audio driver to something else and back to Tascam US2x2. same goes for the Tascam US2x2 Device Manager. very annoying.

Hi everyone. I've been seeing these scattered reports about driver issues regarding the US 2x2 all over, including mine. My solution has been to switch back to driver 1.30 (or any other earlier driver that has the older looking interface) and things work as they should. However, still, it's annoying to have 3 different devices listed in my device list. I, also, bought the focusrite scarlett 2i4, and it's just so simple and easy. c'mon tascam, how can you be so so good, but so so bad at the same time?

Try driver version 1.02, with that version there is only one device, us 2x2, and it works! So they ruined the driver after that version

Same problem here. I own a US 1x2 and Mixing Driver works great on Windows 8.1 But on windows 10 I just get sound if i choose Speakers US 2x2.

I had this problem before with Windows 10. You need:

1. install lastest software/firmware for your tascam device

2. read firmware/software logs abour version 1.30 (2016.07.01) https://tascam.com/downloads/products/tascam/us-2x2_us-4x4/E_US-2x2_US4x4_Ver2_11.txt

3. read about Exclusive Mode in Windows Sound Preferences https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/ar...e-Exclusive-Mode-in-Windows-Sound-Preferences

4. C:\Program Files\TASCAM\US-2x2 & US-4x4 Driver\ -> "US-2x2_US-4x4_SettingsPanel_old.exe" -> you can change sample rate

I know, resurrecting an old thread, but the 4.0 drivers aren't working either. The audio keeps quitting on me, goes into where it just creates "static". It ruined a 1 hour webinar for me tonight, got 3/4 of the way through and I though it was their end, but the audio and video would freeze, jump ahead, freeze immediately and so on until I went into sound settings, changed the audio device and back, then it was fine again. Buggy to say the least, seems like a buffer problem. I tried rolling back to 2.13, but had audio and no mic. I rolled all the way back to 1.02 and am testing now. Hopefully that works. So much for *low* latency! The hardware is great, they just need to hire a qualified test team to make sure their software actually works.

On the positive side, I discovered this gaming laptop actually *does* have speakers and mic.

New threads

Members online