USB question

Ron Shalita

Gear owned
I don't own any yet
Hi all I am a newbie here, and I have 2 questions..
1. can I use the USB port to burn music on a stand alone CD burner?
2. can I use the USB port to import songs onto the Tascam via CD burner OR comp
hey thanks in advance... thinking this machine is just what I need.. Ron

Hi Ron. Short answer is 'no' for the standalone CD burner, but 'yes' for a computer.
Long answer: the USB port only allows the sd-card to be treated as a storage device by a computer. This means you can copy computer files in and out, just like plugging the sd-card directly into a computer. A standalone CD burner records an audio signal played in real-time (at least the ones I used years ago did), either analog or digital. Ditto for playing back audio from a CD burner/player. Neither of these real-time signals is available via the USB port. This means:
1. A standalone burner can only record from the DP24/32 analog outputs (main stereo, monitor or sends).
2. A standalone burner can only playback into the DP24/32 analog inputs for recording in real-time.
A computer will work fine to transfer wave files in either direction via the USB port, but note the Tascam terms 'Export' & 'Import' are really functions which have to be performed as part of the transfer process.

Thank You so very much.. I know CD's are thing of the past but it seems like some people just cant let go of them.. could I ask you one more question?.. if you were to get a new machine would you buy the 32 with a CD in it already?

The dp24/32 CD models are discontinued so you'd have to look for old stock or buy 2nd-hand. I believe they also had MIDI sync, but that's a different issue. However, you may not need that model if you've already got a computer capable of burning CDs. I never had a Tascam to compare, but with a computer/DAW, it's certainly very easy to shuffle tracks around, add track markers, CD-Text etc... and it can burn at faster-than-realtime speeds, which is something my old standalone Marantz burner couldn't do - cost a fortune back in the day, but eventually had to sell it as I couldn't see any advantages!

Yes I knew that they are discontinued, I have a laptop that has a CD burner in it that wont work anymore so i bought a stand alone CD burner ... guess i will have to find a used one somewhere..seems like the smart way for me to go... thank you again for the replies ..

New threads

Members online

No members online now.