Using guitar effects on vocals during mixdown?

Jeff Routledge

Gear owned
DP32 SD
Hello, anyone know if there is a way to toggle guitar effects on and off during a mixdown procedure? I am trying to add the DP32's onboard guitar chorus effect or flanger effect to a specific part of a vocal track but it seems the effect can only be turned on or off before entering the mixdown mode which obviously means it will can only be totally on or off during the entire mixdown track. Any solutions to this issue? Thank you very much.

A few ideas:
1. Add the effect during a bounce, so you end up with an extra track containing the vocal + effect, then fade/switch in/out the original & bounced tracks as reqd. during the mixdown.
2. Use Track Edit to Move/paste the section to another track, then add the effect just to that track during mixdown.
3. Use Track Edit to Clone the whole vocal track to a spare track, insert the effect to the new track, then fade/switch between the tracks during mixdown.

Last edited:
Pretty sure this is an example of a limitation of the DP series. The software is quite remarkable - but still limited. What I have done is to add the effect precisely where I want it using outboard effects while printing to an adjacent open track. Obviously not quite as convenient and can limit exactly which outboard effect you can use.

One example - to add a delay to just one note of a guitar solo I sent an already recorded track out of the effects send to a handheld digital delay guitar pedal and recorded that signal back to an unused open track. It worked perfectly. In some cases I could see where you might want to realign the newly recorded track.

Thank you Phil and Jimi, I appreciate the info and ideas. I also just found another easy but effective way to do this. I simply bounced the vocal track to an unused track and when it got to the part where I wanted to add a guitar flanger effect to the vocal, I just hit "stop" then turned the effect on and assigned it to that track and then hit "record" again. It picked up right where it left off and added the effect to the bounced track. Then I just stopped the recorder again where I wanted the effect to stop (then turned the guitar flanger effect off) and I hit "record" again and that completed the rest of the bounced track with the effect off for the rest of the track. Very crude but it worked great. Thanks guys!

Reactions: Matt B
"I also just found another easy but effective way to do this."

Ah! Good on you! Thanks for sharing. I would not have thought of that. Just goes to show that (along with Phil's input) there is more than one way to skin that cat.;)

New threads

Members online