Using multiple Tascam US-16x08 USB Audio Interfaces:Fails

arritjenof

Gear owned
US-16x08 (x4)
Hi,

I was a bit surprised not to find similair questions here on these forums, but there is the possibility that i just didn't search well enough. I hope that in that case you'll acccept my appologies!

Anyway, i'm working on an macOS application that should continously (non-stop) record 48 channels of audio using at least 3 Tascan US-16x03 USB audio-interfaces.

Unfortunately, just hooking-up 2, already reveals a problem: Only 1 device is ever shown and usable in the System Preferences > Sound panel or the Audio Midi Setup application.

Tools like System Profiler, IORegistryExplorer, USB Prober will actually show that both devices are connected, but somehow only 1 is ever enabled/visible/usable. Normally this is the last device that was plugged-in.

Suggestions i found on the net regarding creating a Aggregate Device don't work, as there's nothing to aggregate; i only ever see 1 device at a time.

So, is it possible at all to hook-up multiple Tascam US-16x08 USB-audio/-midi interfaces to a mac (and use them all simultaneously)

Thanks,

Kind regards,
Arjen

Hi,

Sorry, no solution but I have the same issue with 2 US-16x08s which I bought to provide 16 mic level inputs directly to my DAW via USB. I have used aggregated devices before so know how to set these up but as you say, only 1 US-16x08 ever presents itself. I have spoken to Tascam who gave a hopeless response, "it is simply not possible to connect more than one US-16x08 via USB." They do not say this anywhere on their website or literature so I am infuriated that their response was basically to say "tough." They gave no explanation as to why it was not possible.

I have spoken to Apple who say that their OS (I'm on macOS 10.12) will support multiple instances of the same interface and that any limitation on this is down to the device not the Mac or OS. They cited some suppliers who state that you can only connect one device (Apogee) and that there may be a fix by changing the firmware of the device. They also say they are aware of devices that will allow multiple instances. So, according to Apple, this is down to Tascam. I am awaiting a response from Tascam and will let you know.

Apple also suggested looking at Soundflower https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/
but I have not investigated this yet.

I am very disappointed in Tascam's less than helpful response and wished I had just bought a competitors product that does support multiple uses. Their best advice was to patch the audio outs 1-8 from one US-16x08 into line inputs 9-16 of the second US-16x08 and connect that via USB, routing all 16 mic inputs to the DAW. Far from ideal and wouldn't work with 3 devices.

I will update if I find anything further, if anyone else has experienced this and has a solution, I would love to know.

Psy

Tascam have replied to me and just repeated that it is not possible to connect two US-16x08s to a Mac via USB at the same time, no explanation and no suggested work-arounds, which is a woeful attitude. So we are left stuck between Apple, who claim to hold the multimedia 'crown' and Tascam, who purport to supply professional audio equipment. I have posted a question to the Apple Community so will update if I hear anything.

Thanks Tascam for not even trying to help.

So, Apple said it's down to Tascam, and Tascam says 2 US16x08s cannot be used simultaneously on one Mac. Tascam also suggests a workaround even, mentioned in your previous post. Sounds like a clear answer to me, and rather helpful even.

Hmm. Not sure of your definition of helpful. Tascam do not say anywhere that two US-16x08s can't be used together with a mac and so having spent over £500 to find I can only use half the number of inputs at any time and then be told tough is not what I would call helpful. I've wasted half my money. Besides, this doesn't help our friend with 3 devices. There are suggestions out there that this can be solved through the firmware but Tascam clearly not interested in even discussing it. Best solution is to return/sell one of the Tascams and buy another make. Very helpful.

If anyone is still having this problem here’s a little work around -

Have your second interface in Pre-Amp mode (this is default when not plugged into a computer) then connect outputs 1 - 6 on the second interface to inputs 11 - 16 on the first interface.

Connect the first interface to your computer and there you have it. It’s not quite the same as you have 14 XLR inputs and two line inputs but it’s the best I’ve been able to sort. If you do this make sure you have the 1-2 output on the second interface all the way up too.

The gain nobs all work as normal too!

Hope this helps

So you can use all 14 XLR inputs and the line inputs from both 16x08s at once, simultaneously?

New threads

Staff online

Members online