Using sync code with DP-32

Findlay

Veteran
Gear owned
244 DP32
I've just bought a DP-32 and love it! A steep learning curve though...

I'm hoping to use my old Roland TR-626 drum machine with it. I used to use sync code with my old 4-track Tascam 244. Has anyone any idea is this will work with the DP-32? The idea is to put the sync code on a track and play it back into the TR-626 for live drums I can feed back into the DP-32 inputs on mix down. I'd hope to send the sync code out of the DP-32 on the effects 2 send - do you think this would be possible? The manual is pretty vague about effects 2. I want to avoid any cross talk of the code into the mix.

If you have an actual DP-32, it has MIDI. If you have the DP-32SD, then I recommend this video:

This has been discussed at length on the forum.

Reactions: Findlay
Thanks mjk. I have a DP-32sd so there is no midi. But the video shows I can do what I want to do. Great!

Reactions: -mjk-
Welcome Findlay. Glad you came over. Homerecording.com is a great site. But you'll get very specific DP-32SD support from the folks here.

Rely on the Tipping videos. Phil did an outstanding job and there's very little he did not cover.

Enjoy your new toy!

Reactions: -mjk- and Findlay
Hi Findlay, nice one, the TR-626. Used to own one and it had some great features - unfortunately not quite the sounds of the famous 606 predecessor, but it was my go-to drum machine. Good luck!

Reactions: Findlay and -mjk-
I can confirm that this definitely works.

I have a DP-32SD (without MIDI), and have used it with 3 different MIDI sync tone devices: Kawai R-100 drum machine, Yamaha QX3 MIDI sequencer, Yamaha YCM10 MIDI sync box.

Just like with tape, you need to be careful with the recording level for the sync tone. You may have to adjust the digital gain for your sync track.

I usually record sync on the last track, set send #2 to pre-fader, and max the gain on the send. I keep the fader down (possibly adjusting the digital gain on the track), and use send #2 out to feed my sync box.

- Keith

Reactions: Findlay
Thanks Keith - brilliant to know that it works. Thanks for the heads up on how to set it up. Going to try it out as soon as I can.

Having some problems with the sync. I tried recording the sync tone at about -10dB and couldn't get the TR-626 to sync, even at max effects 2 output. I pushed the recording levels up to about -0dB and it started to sync but lost timing after a few secs. I tried putting the effects 2 output into a DP008 then back into the TR-626 to add some more gain but no improvement. It seems the TR-626 needs an very high sync input! It is possible to boost the levels from effects 2 ? Maybe I need to use an extra mixer!

Yes Phil - both levels are on max. I even tried letting the record level go into the red to get even more output!

Yes - no EQ or FX. Maybe the TR-626 needs a few V input! Any idea of the output voltage from the DP-32sd for a 0 dB tone at max send?

Hi Findlay,

Here are some more detail of how I work with sync tone...

1. Record the sync tone at about -6 dB. Don't let any clipping occur.
2. In the mixer screen for the channel, set Send EFF #2 to PRE, and max gain.
3. In the mixer screen for the channel, set the Send Master #2 to max gain.
4. Connect Send #2 out to the input of your sync box.
5. If it doesn't sync, go back to the mixer screen, and adjust the Digital Trim for the channel. Start with a Digital Trim level of -6 dB and try to sync again. If that doesn't work, keep increasing by 3 dB steps, and try again. In other words, try Digital Trim settings of -6, -3, 0, +3, and finally +6.

Eventually you'll find the correct level setting to work with your TR-626. Once you find them, make a note of the settings, so you won't have to go through all the bother again. Better yet, save a 'blank' song with the current settings and levels, and call it something like 'TR-626 SYNC'. Then you can just load the 'blank' song next time, and everything will already be set.

Let me know how it works out for you. It sounds complicated, but it only takes a few minutes to find the correct sync tone levels, once you know the procedure.

-Keith

Hi Guys - thanks for your help on this. I've measured the output of the effects 2 sync signal from the DP-32sd as 0.578V with a 0dB recording level and max FX and master. This gives a degree of triggering on the TR-626 but it loses sync after a few secs - I can tell this because I recorded drums from the TR-626 with the sync code and the live output goes out of time quickly.

Thanks for the tips Keith. I can't seem to figure how to adjust the digital trim for the output to get anything larger than 0.578V at 0dB record. dB down this would be only 0.239V and I tried this and no triggering. It seem I need another amp for the effects 2 output to boost this to about 1 or 2 volts. Seems an odd level to have to reach - I can't see many tape decks managing this in the old days!

The monitor output is higher so you could try that just to see if it solves the problem - you won't be able to monitor as normal but it would confirm if the signal really is too low. Use the Monitor Select button to select Send 2 to isolate the sync signals. Note that high levels may be overloading the 626 sync input so if it still doesn't work, maybe there's a lower sweet spot you've missed?
Update: if you haven't found the digital trim as per Keith's suggestion (mixer screen), it will give you another 6db boost... it may even have been set lower than 0db from a previous song?

Last edited:
Thanks Phil. I'm losing the will to live a bit with this! I went back to basics, loaded the factory settings as per your video tutorials and recorded the sync signal on track 3 at about -6dB. I had to feed the TR-626 signal into my DP008ex then out into the DP-32 to get enough signal for this, even on max trim. I then set send 2 and master to max and tried to sync, adjusting the digital trim. The TR-626 light started to flash and make some sounds at -12dB on the digital trim, but way out of sync. As I increased the trim gain the sync improved a bit but it was still terrible. At about +2dB trim what sync there was began to get lost and at +6dB nothing happened. I tried inbetween trim settings and send 2 gain settings bewteen 60 and 127 hoping to find a sweet spot but nothing emerged - still way out of sync. It is strange as I get sync using my old Tascam 244 tape machine and I even managed it from a sync track on a DAW - a copy of the 244 tape 4 track with the code on it. Pretty sure the TR-626 is working.

Last edited:
Findlay, are you positive the TR set on external MIDI clock? I've pulled out my own hair over that one.

Thanks mjk. I have the TR set to "Snc TP" and using the tape sync output jack. It reverts to "Snc off" every time I stop it after an aborted check run so I reset it every time. Have pulled all my hair out now!

Reactions: -mjk-
And, there is a sync input jack, you're sending to, and making the TP slave mode?

Edit: A quick scan of the manual reveals that there is a tape sync input jack. Obviously, you have to use the input jack for the signal from the FX send from the DP machine.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online