Using sync code with DP-32

Thanks again for your help mjk. Yes I use the tape sync input jack. I've just tried again - recorded the tape sync code at about -3dB and tried to sync on playback. Send 2 and master at max. The Tr-626 began to react with the digital trim at -10dB but just the odd beat. At +1dB trim I got sync for about 4 bars, after which the timing started to drift alarmingly (comparing the live output to the recorded tracks) At higher trim levels there was no improvement and at +6dB there was total loss of by then the hopeless sync. I'm not sure if this is a Tascam or Roland problem! The Roland has always synced well with tape!

For the record, I have used a Roland R8 drum machine (which is the same manufacturer and vintage as the TR-626) as a sync master on send 2 and have never had problems keeping sync. I put the sync tone on track 8, stripe (record) it at the desired tempo, and the R8 never had an issue hearing or syncing up to the tone. Likewise, I have not had issues with a Yamaha QX5.

Has the poster tried using another cable? Maybe the cable has a short and hum. I know, with the 626, one needs to use a 1/8" to 1/4" cable, or an adapter on the DP32SD side to get things to work. Another issue is that maybe the sync in connection is loose on the 626.

Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks Sam. I will try another lead in case. Not sure how to check the connector on the TR. I don't suppose you remember the levels you used to get the sync?

I just checked in the last R8 synced song before I moved over to using QX5 for sync: The sync tone was at -12; aux send was PRE 127 (100%) to send 2, and send 2 output level was 100%.

I suspect a bad cable or a loose connection in the TR-626. Try getting another unit from that era with tape sync: Roland R8, Yamaha QX5, both of which I know work, or something similar. Don’t use a TR-707/727, because they can’t really sync to MIDI when a tape sync slave; I believe the TR-909 has the same issue, but no one spends $4000 just for tape sync. It’s also possible the TR-626 has the same issue the TR-707 has, where it loses sync when sending MIDI sync while a tape sync slave; Google around and see if anyone has successfully used a 626 as a tape sync unit.

Reactions: -mjk-
One more thing I might add is, I believe whatever drum machine you use to record the MIDI sync audio track, has to be in master mode so it generates a master control stripe. Then the machine has to be put back in slave mode.

Thanks again Sam and mjk. Success! Using Sam's advice about the input cable I swapped it and found I had a much larger sync input. I managed to record this at - 12 with the trim set only about halfway instead of at max. And perfect sync on playback! I guess the signal was being corrupted by the old cable. Looking at the service manual it states the output from the tape sync jack on the TR-626 is -7dBm - isn't this about 50mV into 10k? Shouldn't have had to have the trim up so high so maybe the old cable was attenuating. Thanks all you guys for helping - much appreciated.

Excellent! Way to go @Sam Trenholme - good call! @Findlay thanks for the update; glad you got it going! Far too many people get the answer that works, but never do the follow-up message to let everybody else know that it worked. So we end up with threads that have lots of suggestions, but we never know if any of them worked in the end. We can only guess that maybe the last one worked, because the OP never came back.

Thanks mjk - this is such a friendly and helpful site. I'm still finding my way around my DP-32sd but am amazed at how good it sounds. I put down some mandolin yesterday and it sounds stunning. If only I could play! I'd say without any doubt that you could make an album on this machine and nobody could tell whether is had been made in a studio.

@Findlay I am a 63-year-old record producer from Boston who was active in the 80s and 90s. I will tell you that you absolutely can make records on any DP machine. I'm doing tracks for new album that rival anything I did on an API console and Studer 24 track machine, on my DP-32.

Thought I'd post an update on this. I've just had great fun working with the DP-32sd with the Roland TR626 and an old tape recorded in '89 on a Tascam 244. I managed to restore the drum pattern from the tape onto the Roland. I'd previously digitised the 4 244 tracks, so imported them into tracks 1-4 of the DP-32sd. Track 1 had the sync code so routed this using send 2 into the Roland - it synced beautifully and managed to record the individual drum voices (bass, snare, hats etc) into various tracks of the DP-32sd. With a bit of tailored eq these drums don't sound at all bad. When I originally mixed the song all those years back I had to play the drum voices back through a homemade mixer into the aux return of the 244 and it was a bit tricky getting everything right. It is great being able to play everything back so easily now on the DP-32 and I'm amazed how good it sounds (to me at least!). Thanks again for the help on this.

@Findlay if one is meticulous, amazing results can be achieved on the DP-32. It is a digital multitrack recorder and as long as you work within it's limitations, tracks are tracks. I'm happy to hear that you are getting good results with tape sync.

Reactions: Findlay
Hi, I thought of writing here as you are talking about 626 and syncing it to tape which online isn't very common to find about.
Basically I'm syncing the 626 withouth problems to the tone recorded on my 414 tape recorder, and I can send midi out to another drum machine;

for example from 626 to tr 08, when the 626 starts receiving the tape sync and starts, the tr08 syncs up but doesn't start the sequence by itself, I need to manually press start at the right time otherwise it's on the right tempo but out of phase.

do you know if this can be fixed?
thanks

New threads

Members online

No members online now.