Using the DP-32 in a live situation

rockdaddy

Gear owned
Tascam dp32-sd
Can anyone speak to the pros and cons of using the dp-32 in a live situation? Specifically, a "one man band" scenario?

Rockdaddy, I was hoping someone who's actually used their rig in a live context would have replied by now...if you're referring to playing or singing against recorded backup tracks in a live setting, I'd think a group of sets on either a small computer or even a tablet would be an easier method, especially when setting and controlling levels and playback, than to try and do so on a DP-32SD would be. Your "one man band" comment makes me think that's your likely goal, and if that's correct, I'd think the DP to be overkill for that application, but that's just my thoughts.

Hope someone else who's used theirs live will join in and give you more experienced info than I can offer!

I've used the DP24 several times in a live performances and have generally been pleased with the results. I play in a 5 piece bluegrass band and strive to keep the PA system & equipment simple. Our basic setup uses 5 mics, a Yamaha 8 channel power mixer, 2 main speakers & 2 monitor wedges. Sometimes we use in-ear monitors. 4 mics are rather high end condensers ( 2 Shure KSM32s, & 2 SM137 ) & one SM58. All vocals use the same KSM32, the other KSM32 is an instrument mic, the 2 SM137s are for guitar & mandolin, & the SM58 is for the bass fiddle. Our bluegrass band uses a "set it & forget it" approach to sound reinforcement. Once mic levels are set on the power mixer, we adjust mix/volume during the performance by walking into or away from a mic or just playing louder or softer.

For the DP24, I purchased a microphone splitter. ART S8 (Advanced Research and Technology, 8 channels). XLR mic cables go into the front of the splitter. From the back of the splitter, one xlr (the direct through-put) I put into the DP24. The other xlr (which is separated from the direct by a transformer in the splitter) goes into the power mixer. The condenser mics require phantom power. I use the 48 volt phantom power from the DP24. That's why I use the direct out from the splitter to feed the DP24. I called customer support at ART and talked over this approach with one of their technical folks.

Setting up the DP24. I purchased a 32 gig SD card for the recording. Since I tend to get very busy setting up before a show, I set a lot of the parameters for the DP24 before I left home. I created a new song, 16 bit, 44.1kz and pre-assigned the source to the channels using the same assignment we use for the power mixer, (ie channel one is vocal for both mixer & DP24). Also set the compressor effect for the vocal mics on. I did not set any other effects dp24, nor EQ, reverb. I recorded everything flat. Next on the DP24, the sliders & monitor outs are only needed during playback, I backed them all down. The only thing you need to be concerned with is the trim knobs. I needed help for this. So with the phantom power switch on, I would have a band member speak very loudly into each mic. I turned the trim knob until the OL light turned red and then backed it off a bit until I was fairly confident that the channel wouldn't over load during performance. Repeated that process for the remaining 5 mics.

During the show, when I turned the power mixer from standby to live, I also started recording on the DP24. In general this all worked very well. When I've checked the recording at home, I found most of the recording ended up with strong signal levels and only occasionally (usually on the vocal mic) would I get a momentary overload.

Cons:
  • This method uses a lot of xlr cables. The power mixer, dp24 & mic splitter are all close together. I needed to purchase 2 xlr cables for each channel, one for the dp24 & one for the power mixer. I purchased 3' cables for this. I wish I had gotten 5' cables. Still there's a lot of cables.
  • I don't have a travel case for the dp24. I'm definitely going to invest in something to take care of that; possibly something that will accommodate the mic splitter too.
Lessons learned:
  • I wanted to record using 24 bit 48 kz, but when I created a new song on the DP24 with those settings, the system said I had 66 mins of record time with the 32 gig SD card. That wasn't enough as our concerts usually run 1.5 hours and I didn't want to fool around with starting & stopping the recording during the performance. I do have the foot switch accessory for the dp24, but haven't used it yet.
  • I'm glad I pre-set the source/channels before leaving home. One less thing to worry about.
  • Next time I'm going to create a check list for set up.
Didn't mean to get so long winded. Hope this helps and would be interested in hearing about your solution to recording live.

Reactions: rockdaddy
Thanks for the feedback sir...I'm actually considering using the 32 as a playback device after I've recorded various instruments, and then performing live with vocals and another instrument. Beginning to feel like I may be reinventing the wheel. ..thanks again.

That should work okay. But unless you mixed & mastered each song, you'd be loading and setting levels for every song on the set list. Wouldn't it be easier to just master your songs to a CD and use that as the backup band?

Reactions: rockdaddy
Yes, you're correct. That's my plan: to have mixed and mastered songs as a back drop to a live vocals and 1 or 2 other instruments.

Hey all, I'm from the future! :)

@GibsonF5, was there a reason that you didn't just use the DP-24 as your sound mixer and feed the stereo out to your PA? I'm interested to try something similar and considering buying a DP-24 for this purpose.

Members online

No members online now.