Using the DP-32 with MIDI i/o to track with Logic Pro X

Frank Jaegr

Gear owned
DP-32
Basically my DP-32 captures the sounds from my DAW via a stereo pair from my Focusrite Pro 40 from my Mac to my DP-32 where I store the tracks. Since my Mac is an older version that doesn't handle CPU processes very well I use my DP-32 to playback everything leaving my computer as just a super sampler/sequencer/effects unit with some awesome mastering effects to bring into a more analog feeling world.

Ideally what I want this midi integration to do is that when I press the record button on my DP-32 that it also initiates the record function on my DAW - I just have very limited experience as of now on how to set this on my DAW (Logic in this case) or on my DP-32.

Sorry Frank, thought someone here might have known.
Had a look at the dp32 manual (page 71) and it talks about it being able to send & receive MMC (machine control) commands. Page 100 lists the commands so looks like Record, Stop, Play, etc are all handled. If you want the dp32 to control the DAW, page 71 says to change the MMC Mode to master. You may also need to configure Logic to receive MMC messages, so maybe there's a MIDI config option somewhere in Logic. Can't be much help as I don't have one of these DP models. Hope someone can chime in.

Just took delivery of the Anatek Pocket Sync from Ebay.

I configured the Beat Buddy to send out Midi Time Code (it supports Start/Stop/Location). Then patched the midi out signal into the Pocket Sync midi in. Then patched the Pocket Syncs audio out into the DP 24 SD's last mono channel. Only had time for a signal test . Got a carrier tone before starting the Beat Buddy. Then got the "midi TC sound" when I started the BB playing. Yippee. Tomorrow I will stripe the Dp 24 sd and then try slaving the BB to the Tascam by reversing the cables.

Phil, thanks again for the video tutorial on doing this process you just shared with us. BTW, that PDF on using the DP 24 SD I bought from you will prove invaluable as this fun progresses. Cheers!

Reactions: Phil Tipping
I learned a big midi gotcha today while testing out the Pocket Sync box. I started out with the Beat Buddy and DP24SD cabled up for the signal path that first allowed me to record MTC from the Beat Buddy to the Tascam. After that was achieved I would disconnect all cables and re-patch the signal path to allow me to use the MTC recorded on a track on the Tascam to trigger the Beat Buddy. After having problems with the second process, I was told by a midi expert that BOTH midi cables must remain patched into the Pocket Sync. This is because the Midi Out of the BB also provides current to the Pocket Sync.

With that knowledge in hand, the system now runs flawlessly. WOOHOO!

Reactions: Phil Tipping
LOL! Today the other used ebay sync box unit I found ( Yamaha YMC10 ) arrived . Since they dont make them anymore, I figure its good to have a backup if and when its needed.

Had a look at the dp32 manual (page 71) and it talks about it being able to send & receive MMC (machine control) commands. Page 100 lists the commands so looks like Record, Stop, Play, etc are all handled. If you want the dp32 to control the DAW, page 71 says to change the MMC Mode to master. You may also need to configure Logic to receive MMC messages, so maybe there's a MIDI config option somewhere in Logic. Can't be much help as I don't have one of these DP models. Hope someone can chime in.

what i would love is to find an automation system for the DP-32 via MIDI. record MIDI moves from the DP, and then play them back. i haven't tried it yet, but Anvil might be able to do this.

what i would love is to find an automation system for the DP-32 via MIDI. record MIDI moves from the DP, and then play them back. i haven't tried it yet, but Anvil might be able to do this.
Old topic, but still interesting approach to DP-24/32 automation.
Is this what we are longing for?

Put it on my already long to-test list.

I got my DP-32 to talk MIDI to Cakewalk's free DAW. It gave me 8 channels of fader, pan and EQ control of the DAW. There isn't any reason why it wouldn't work the other way around.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.