Using the FW 1884 with WIndows 10

Donald Barks

From
Oakland, CA
Gear owned
FW 1884, DR-40, etc
So, with the impending release of Windows 10, and the vagaries of using the FW 1884 under Windows 8.1, anybody have any experience with Windows 10 early release?

Will the Legacy driver trick that works very well under Win 8.1 work under Win 10?

I had the FW-1884 working under win10 tech preview using the same trick. I recently upgraded my 8.1 install to Windows 10 which reinstalls drivers from scratch and have had zero problems and did not even need to use the trick that I used to get the unit working back with 8.1. It just worked with Windows 10 right away. I'm not sure if it will be as smooth with a completely clean install but the FW-1884 can definitely work in Windows 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donald Barks
Sean,

Thanks for the info! I have upgraded to Win 10 and it works like a charm. I do still have to boot into the mode where unsigned drivers are accepted. Not a biggie, but I was wondering if yours works on a "normal" boot?

Please forgive me, I'm a newbie to this forum. I love my FW 1884 but what a PIA to sync with my Windows 7 64 and Cubase 5.5. I can't tell you how many things I've tried, forums I've read about the issue. Aside from standing on my head and reciting the ten commandments, I've tried just about everything. My go-to method is to turn on the FW1884 30 minutes before I want to use it, then fire up the PC. It's a 75/25 chance for sync. When it syncs, it is simply amazing. In April I spent the money for a TI chipset Firewire card (SIIG via Sweetwater). I STILL have to allow it a 'warm up period' for a glimmer of hope to sync. I've read about the serial number being related to the 'warm up' issue but I'm fairly certain that my unit was manufactured after this issue (0140221).

Long story short, by reading this thread, am I to understand that Windows 10 could be the fix I am looking for ?? I considered going to a Mac, but it looks like they don't support beyond Snow Leopard OS and I don't see any DAW hardware out there that compares in features and price of my beloved FW1884. If Windows 10 and more RAM and a Cubase 8 upgrade will get me working again, I will be so very happy.

@David Oppe,

I am having great success thus far with Win 10. The nice thing, is it's free for Win 7 and 8 users. You get a month to revert to your previous OS.

My PC (home built ASUS mobo with Core i7, 32GB of Ram, SSD, and copious amounts of storage) has a memory/temp issue. Under Win 7, I had BSODs all the time. Very frustrating. Win 8.1 dramatically lessened the issue, but if I was really pushing the system I still got plenty of BSODs. Under Win 10, I rarely (not *never* still) have crashes.

Sean's comments in this thread are what persuaded me to go ahead and upgrade. And everything works well with Cubase 7.5 and 8. I also use Studio One, and I will be testing out the driver for that later today.

So, I would probably give Win 10 a shot if your system is compatible. MS has an app to check your system and find incompatibilities, so I'd run that first. Here's a link to an article on ZDNet that gives info on how to check compatibility:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-y...ell-hidden-compatibility-checker-to-find-out/

I'm not a super expert, but I have been building my own computers for a long time. If you would like to share your system specs (Mobo, processor, RAM, etc.) I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can tell you more.

Hope this helps!

David,
If you are experiencing "warm-up" problems I would suggest its the FW not the OS.
Please review the Win 7 setup tutorial on my website, and read Service bulletin # SB 606 Change of U9 Capacitor.
You've got a bad cap, my studio FW is "slow to sync" if the temp is below about 60 Fahrenheit.
HTH,
Tom
Sorry to all we got off topic

DeeringAmps, thanks for the info. I must have the newer cap, but I've not seen that Service Bulletin before.

Actually my 1884 is new enough to have the "new" cap (according to the serial #).
However, this is a "issue" that showed up and has gotten progressively worse.
When I first saw users complaining about having to "warm up" their gear I thought;
"NO WAY!, this ain't 'tube' gear, its solid state."
Then I reviewed the Tascam service bulletins and found the issue.

I just saw that my request for the Win10 upgrade has come thru for my office rig.
I still have a door stop/coaster, opps!; I mean 500gb WD "black" drive with Win8.1 on it.
I tried and failed to get it running the FW...
Maybe next week I'll have some time; if I'm successful I'll add a tutorial to my website.
Thanks to all who are "pushing the envelope"!

Again, sorry to wander off topic.
Tom

Here's the article for getting the fw1884 to work under win 8.1:

http://www.unmarkedplace.com/fw1884/comment-page-1/

Under Win 10 I didn't have to do anything special beyond booting into the unsigned drivers mode. You may have to manually install the legacy driver, but I don't think I had it installed under Win 8.1 when I upgraded.

Hope this helps!

Hey guys!

Im completely new to this and cant seem to be able to download the right software for my tascam fw-1884. Does someone have a reliable source where I could get that and finally make it work on windows 10 pro?

I made it work with Windows 10 (Newest Update) + Pro Tools 10HD/Reaper and Ableton 10. Audio and all Motorfader works. Later I will make a YouTube Tutorial about it.

I have an FW-1082 and every time I turn it on with the drivers installed it crashes with the Driver IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.