Vocals hiding dp24

Bravohorn1

Gear owned
DP 24SD
Hey, My 1st conundrum, and it's stressing me out. Can anyone assist? I Recorded artist using acoustic guitar direct to input h, condensor mic to A. Completed song on track 1. At playback the guitar was clear and great, but vocal was barely there. I mean way back barely there. Could hear faintly. I did pre check and both mic and guitar we're hot , and vocals were processing through monitors clearly. Some how at assign preset tech cursered mic dwn to stereo track. I only noticed bc when done noticed track light lit on one last of the 12. ?#1- Is vocal lost, or in drive somewhere to be found? If the latter how can it be found?

Reactions: -mjk-
Not sure what you mean by the "track light lit on the last of the 12" - do you mean the green select light? If so, these lights make no difference to what is being recorded. If the vocal mic input A was not assigned to any track(s) via the assign screen, I'm afraid it won't be recorded anywhere. If it's assigned to the stereo bus (on the bottom row of the assign screen), you'll hear it perfectly on the monitors but this doesn't mean it will be recorded. If it hasn't been recorded, the faint vocal sound may just be pickup via the acoustic guitar. However (good news?) - if you mean input A was assigned to a stereo track (as opposed to the stereo bus), then as long as the track was armed (red light), it will have recorded ok, in which case just turn up the stereo track fader during playback.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Hi Bravo. Let's see if we can help out.

Phil, what I think he means is that the track assign icon on one of the stereo tracks was lit on the Assign screen, and he noticed it after observing the track light being on afterwards. So I believe you called that correctly.

Bravo, what happens when you listen to that stereo track? Is there anything there? Did you only arm Track 1 for recording?

Advice from an old producer: Always check the tracks before you send the talent home!

Bravo, I recommend always recording separate tracks for different instruments, unless one is extremely experienced sitting behind the mixing desk, and there is some specific need to mix something together during record. If you can mix the inputs together live, then you can do it later, but doing it later preserves your control. Guitar and vocals on separate tracks, always! Having separate tracks also allows you to do phase tricks to reduce the vocal in the guitar tracks, and vice versa. The added benefit is EQ, dynamics processing and FX, all specific to each track. The right amount of reverb on the vocal for example, may very well be too much for the guitar. You get the idea.

New threads

Staff online

Members online