Wandering trim pot

musicbydesign

Gear owned
DM-4800
Hi gurus!
I have a DM-4800 latest version with three ADAT cards and the Firewire card. A couple of months ago I started noticing the hardware "10 HIGH GAIN" pot keeps creeping up (sometimes JUMPING up) to max on its own. Midi connections are disabled. Any clues as to whether or not this is a software bug vs just a bad pot?

...I don't remember seeing this before I updated the firmware but I was not as familiar with the board back then and may have missed it...

Could be hardware. But my money is on one of three things :

1. MIX AUTOMATION - may be enabled: Go to Automation/Setup. If the top 'button' (AUTO) is blackened - DISable it!

2. Errant MIDI maneuver: These are harder to track down. But they usually occur when you're futzing with some plugin parameter and unknowingly enable the DAW's MIDI LEARN! function. From that point forward, whatever you unwittingly told your console to do - it will - over and over again - each time you pass the same part of the file. Solution: Load a fresh project with nothing like that swimming around in the background. (Be sure to save your EQ and other parameters to a Snapshot if there are settings you want recalled.

3. ROGUE MIDI MESSAGES! - These take all sorts of odd forms - sending 'musical notes' into the DAW, or mysteriously affecting DM console features - EQ/faders,pans etc etc. These are challenging as well. But the first step is to open the DM's MIDI MENU (the screen that looks like a miniature plumbing system). From there, it's a matter of tracing down the midi I/O to determine if messages are being sent up the wrong 'artery' and 'drugging' your console into doing bizarre things.

First - check Item #1 above. Could be just that simple.

CaptDan

New threads

Members online

No members online now.