Want to pick it up again

Thomas1953

Gear owned
FW1082
Hallo all of you!! My name is Tom, I'm 62 years of age and I live in The Netherlands. I've bought a FW1082 8 years or so ago. Played around with it for a year. Did even an on-site recording for a high school project. Then I got busy for my job, being clinical research in X-ray imaging. To be short since then the TASCAM FW1082 was untouched....UNTIL now. I have more time now. So I want to pick it up again. I have an Acer laptop upgraded with Windows 10 with only USB 2 and 3 inputs/outputs. I have Cubase SX-3. I have not connected yet because I need an adapter. I hope to learn from the forum how to get everything back to work. So I most propably will need some advice from some of you. Anyway thanks in advance for your help.

That's great that you have time to come back to music. My only concern would be that the FW-1082 has been discontinued and the Windows 7 fire-wire drivers may not be compatible with Windows 10...

Be prepared that you may have to use the FW-1082 with a Windows 7 machine if you want to avoid having to purchase something else to take its place.

Same goes for Cubase SX-3. Being a Cubase user myself, I know for a fact that the latest version of Cubase has issues with Windows 10 (Steinberg posted a warning stating so) and would imagine SX-3 would have similar issues, if not more.

Thanks for your message. As said: lot to be learned...Reading your message I'm less optimistic in getting it going under Windows 10.. Will start studying the forum...

Welcome Tom!

Also be prepared to get just a different machine to do your music stuff on because if your laptop only has USB inputs/outputs I'm not sure that you would even be able to add anything to it to give you Firewire capabilities, I've never heard of anything that runs from USB that will give you firewire. It might be the path of less pain to just find a cheap windows desktop machine and add a decent firewire card to it ... but I'm sure others that deal with that sort of stuff will be able to give you better advice.

Yes but I would honestly suggest against using a laptop for music stuff unless you really need to ... especially older ones. The performance might be petty underwhelming ...

Thanks guys...Just got some info on FW to USB. Which seems not possible because I did not see any success story with DAW. I think I'm gonna repair the old desktop from some years ago with which everything worked at that time. See what the outcome is. Sure it will take some time. I'll let you know if I get things alive after some years of "hibernation". Then I will decide where to go from that starting point. Thanks again for your advice!!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.